TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:34:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,105
  • Total Topics: 21,213
  • Online today: 77
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 74
  • Total: 74

showcase posting guide

Showcase Board Posting Guide

The Showcase Board is for our Members to Showcase their sites that use SMF and TinyPortal.

Any topics for sites that no longer use TinyPortal are subject to deletion at any time, at the discretion of the TP Support Site staff.

Cincy Space

Started by Oldiesmann, May 09, 2019, 07:39:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldiesmann

GENERAL
Site Name: Cincy Space
Site URL: https://www.cincyspace.net
Site Owner: Me (Oldiesmann)
Site Designer: Also me
Theme Designer: Lesmond

Site Genre: Local news/info/chat

INTRODUCTION
Got the bug to start a new forum a while back. Started looking for ideas and realized there wasn't any forum for discussion of everything related to the city I live in (Cincinnati, commonly known as "Cincy"). There are sections of larger forums (City-Data, Trip Advisor, etc.), assorted specific Facebook groups,  fan sites for local sports teams, etc., but nothing only for the city as a whole. Ended up with the name "Cincy Space" while looking for a domain for the site. I bought the "cincy.space" domain for the whole "domain hack" thing (plus it was relatively inexpensive), but ended up later buying the current domain at the suggestion of others (not many people know that ".space" is a thing to begin with). Unfortunately the .com is already owned by someone else in the area who supposedly has business plans for it (at least that's what he said when I emailed him about buying it - I didn't bother making him an offer as I already had .net by that time). I spent a month working with various ideas and getting it set up, and opened it up to the public a few days ago.

FEEDBACK (optional)
Dislikes: Not entirely sure about the number of boards I have - especially the sports boards (I did general sports with one board each for most of the pro teams, plus one each for high school and college). I'm also still trying to figure out the content thing - I want to talk about local stuff but I don't have time to make a topic about every news story and sifting through all the stories to find something worth posting about is a bit difficult as well.

I think with enough work this could really take off. This is the first new forum I've started in a long time so I don't really remember a lot about the process, and this forum certainly has a much broader outreach than the previous one I did (Archie comics). If anyone has any advice or experience in this area, I could use it. I've put a lot of time and effort into this project so I really don't want to see it fail.

Ken.

Great looking start Oldiesmann.  O0
Your header images look nice and fit well with the theme.
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
Yesterday When I was Young.

Oldiesmann

Lesmond included those with the theme. The nice thing is it's quite easy to add/change those - just need to size the images appropriately and drop them in a folder in the theme directory and they're automatically included in the rotation. I'll have to throw some others in there at some point.

Ken.

Les dose good work.  O0

Over the years he has designed many of the elements that go into my site and has had a huge impact on the look and feel of the site. One really good example is our member badges, we've used his badges designs for many years and with many different themes and they look great wherever we have used them.
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
Yesterday When I was Young.