TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:17:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,173
  • Total Topics: 21,219
  • Online today: 319
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 314
  • Total: 314

Thinking Out Loud :-)..ooO( Night Theme / Day Theme - Possible ??? )

Started by knat, January 09, 2007, 08:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knat

Can a have two themes that automaticly change depending on the time of day

One for night would be black and dark colors

One for day would be white and bright colors

But is it possible to make it change automaticly ?   ::)

Would it be a cool feature or would users just hate it ??  ???

RoarinRow

Sounds like a cool feature, but I know my members would like it.  When I change it to upgrade the forum or TP, they always ask how do get my theme back!    :2funny:

SMF 2.0 RC3
TP 1.0 beta 5-1
Wordpress 3.0

Crip

I have become comfortably numb!

Cripzone | Crip's Free 2.0.2 Themes

akulion

that would be nice but annoying - the reason i say that is because like on my site I have people who absolutely have the hardest time reading against darker theme backgrounds

while others complain the lighter themes are burning out their eyeballs lol

so i just put light, dark and medium - hard task trying to please everyone

but an alternative idea could be ur normal 'style sheet changer' on a theme....

bloc

Codewise its very possible..but themewise maybe less difference is a way to go, for example a theme with day-time activites and references in it, while at night nightly stuff of course. :) Would depend on what the theme is about too.

knat

Well im not actually goin to create it.. just thought that the idea was cool and maybe pass it on to somebody who can code it/use it.  :)

and ofcourse i was wondering if it could be done.. but hey if you can have the forum greet your users depending on the time of day i guess you can have it change theme too  ;D

JPDeni

The greeting is just displaying one line of text. It's very simple. A theme is completely different in that it defines a whole directory and is set way before the greeting is set.

bloc

Yup, a greeting was something I added to another site of mine a long time ago. Users loved it.

Can't promise anything, but its an interesting idea. It all depends on the theme of the theme...erm...as in what the theme is about. ;D

EDIT:

JPdeni is right, loading another theme requires manual changes to source files - a mod. But making a theme with totally different gfx and stylesheet is quite possible. It only has to check for the time of day in index.template and then load the appropiate stylesheet and set the right images folder. Of course each changed template in that theme needs two sets of "changes". But setting a switch will accomplish that..plus of course not chnaging so much outside index.template. 

Or..you could use layers.