TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:49:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,106
  • Total Topics: 21,213
  • Online today: 358
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 326
  • Total: 327
  • @rjen

Buying a server. Cheap?

Started by brianjw, February 03, 2007, 09:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianjw

hey everybody! I am thinking about buying a server at the cheapest price possible where it still works, lol :2funny:.

Does anyone have links to ebay with ppl who are selling used/new either servers like
Small Business Server 2003?
Does anyone have links to other websites with ppl who are selling used/new servers?

Thanks for ur responses.
Brianjw ;)

Lesmond

did you know you can set up your own server, on almost (well almost) any pc, for free! take a look at rays site for instance, he has set up his own there, with little or no cost :)

brianjw

Quote from: Lesmond on February 03, 2007, 09:11:28 PM
did you know you can set up your own server, on almost (well almost) any pc, for free! take a look at rays site for instance, he has set up his own there, with little or no cost :)
The point is I want to be able to sell web hosting with the server as well ;)
And where can I get a free server? ???

Lesmond

well now your looking into heavy ground here, look at the pro and cons, can you support your members, can you help them if they need help? also if something goes wrong can you fix it!
you can look into reseller hosting, a lot of the top hosting company's will do that for you. do a google  see what comes up :)

mediman

Quote from: brianjw on February 03, 2007, 09:30:38 PM
Quote from: Lesmond on February 03, 2007, 09:11:28 PM
The point is I want to be able to sell web hosting with the server as well ;)
And where can I get a free server? ???

bying a server is the smallest part to provide hosting. you need also a powerful server virtualisation like hscomplete or similar.
you need admintools for your clients like plesk, confixx or cpanel.

mediman

brianjw

hygron

I just checked the license for Direct Admin control Panel.  $300.00 for a lifetime license.  Not bad.

BTW.  I know a guy that has a room full of Dell servers.
He is hard to catch up with, but I will try and see what models he has.  Peace

binkles

Quote from: brianjw on February 03, 2007, 09:06:28 PM
hey everybody! I am thinking about buying a server at the cheapest price possible where it still works, lol :2funny:.

Does anyone have links to ebay with ppl who are selling used/new either servers like
Small Business Server 2003?

Does anyone have links to other websites with ppl who are selling used/new servers?

Thanks for ur responses.
Brianjw ;)

Are you asking about hardware and software?
An old PIII 1gig will be ok to run CentOs

brianjw

I just want to host my own website on my server so i dont have to pay monthly/yearly ;)

binkles

Quote from: brianjw on February 25, 2007, 12:27:26 PM
I just want to host my own website on my server so i dont have to pay monthly/yearly ;)

Oh, well buy an old corporate desktop and install a linux server OS on it, CentOS is a popular.
You will have to have a pretty fast upload speed, what are your transfer speeds?