TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:54:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,164
  • Total Topics: 21,219
  • Online today: 266
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 138
  • Total: 138

[PAID] DreamHost

Started by Xarcell, June 20, 2006, 01:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skal Tura

Oh yeah, that's modern CONSUMER hdds, not server/enterprise HDDs. Hell, modern HDDs probably can read faster than that.

JPDeni

QuoteIf i recall correctly, i've already said in this thread about being a competitor.
I'm not sure if you have or not, but not everyone will read every post in the topic. It might be a good idea to casually mention your competitor status when you suddenly add to this topic after it's been silent for a couple of weeks. I know that when I first read your posts here, I didn't understand that you are a competitor with Dreamhost. Just a suggestion.

QuoteFortunately, you've been lucky, or run low traffic websites... Try using tens of gigabytes of HDD
I don't think that Dreamhost is designed for websites with a great amount of traffic. If someone has that much traffic he or she ought to think of something besides low-budget hosting. I doubt seriously if most of the members here would have sites that are large enough or busy enough to come close to what you're talking about.

Skal Tura

Quote from: JPDeni on October 16, 2006, 12:51:32 PM
QuoteIf i recall correctly, i've already said in this thread about being a competitor.
I'm not sure if you have or not, but not everyone will read every post in the topic. It might be a good idea to casually mention your competitor status when you suddenly add to this topic after it's been silent for a couple of weeks. I know that when I first read your posts here, I didn't understand that you are a competitor with Dreamhost. Just a suggestion.

QuoteFortunately, you've been lucky, or run low traffic websites... Try using tens of gigabytes of HDD
I don't think that Dreamhost is designed for websites with a great amount of traffic. If someone has that much traffic he or she ought to think of something besides low-budget hosting. I doubt seriously if most of the members here would have sites that are large enough or busy enough to come close to what you're talking about.

Well, in that case, why do they offer 200Gb HDD and 2Terabytes of traffic, if customer shouldn't use it? At the moment, customer CAN'T use it, even they PROMISE that to you.

Don't you see a contradiction there? Saying that they ain't bullshitters when they offer 200Gb HDD and 2Tb traffic, yet the same time saying, that one shouldn't host a site with couple hundred gigs of traffic on their services?

and it all boils down to what kind of traffic: pageviews (10 to 100k each) or video streaming (4 to 200meg each)? At the moment, they don't allow you to even use the 2Tb for the data type which consumes the least amount of CPU & RAM, static content, which video streams are.

So basicly, what they are doing, is selling thin air... Wait a minute... Not even air... Not even VAPOR! They are selling cute(ridiculous) promises.

Never mind the fact that their business plan isn't for long term, it's short term, their intent is to get as many clients as possible in shortest possible time. Now, let's see where that usually leads to... Yes, that's right: Selling the company :)

Now, they've been around since 96 or something like that... I was shocked when i found out that they don't even have real redundant power supply!

And as for the think about something else than low-budget hosting: It all comes to ROI, Return On Investment.

In other words, please correct if i'm wrong:
- You think that Dreamhost ROCKS
- You think their offer ROCKS
- You think their support ROCKS
- You think that one shouldn't use it to the degree they promise you?

Please, think about it, you are paying for 200Gb and 2Tb traffic, shouldn't
you be able to use all what you pay for? :)

If you think, no you shouldn't be able to use all of what you have bought, i hope almost everyone would be like that! Then i would start selling 20terabytes hdd, and 200Petabytes transfer hosting, and only give clients 1Mb HDD and 2MB traffic or start my own gas station and sell them a liter (1/4 gallon) of gas for 10cents, but only give them 0.1 desiliters (1/40 of gallon) making the real liter price to 10euros/dollars :)

Disclaimer:
Haven't been reading this thread? Dreamhost is a competitor to me, i run Artichost.net

Skal Tura

Here's the e-mail i got from dreamhost support:
"Hello,

I'm really sorry but I had to disable the website XYZ. I'm
not sure what you had running with that server, but it was jamming up
networking for the entire server, which was causing NFS to fail, and thus
was driving up load on the entire server. As soon as I disabled the
website the load came down and the server was able to talk to the file
servers again.

I apologize for the inconvenience, but when a website breaks a server
this badly, there's no way we can re-enable it.

Thank you for your understanding, and again I'm so very sorry about this.

Terri"

replied:

"Hi,

That website servers up large files also (40 to 350mb) which might be cause of
the problem, seeing all drives are networked at you guys (a weakness i do here
see)l

I'll look into it, but i'm disappointed on the weak solution you guys apparently
have. Did you check was it all I/O wait? Seen the same happen here too, tho
those times, just too slow HDD. (Checkout SAR for i/o monitoring, CentOS does
have package... package name i cannot remember)

- Aleksi "

with SAR i was meaning iostat, remembered the name wrong :( and yes that one mention is intentionally Joda speak.

thei replied:
"Hello,

When we notice a site crashing a machine, we have no choice but to
disable it. We cannot allow one user to overconsume system resources and
bring down a machine. It's not fair to other user on the machine. If you
have any additional questions please let us know.

Thanks!
Brian S."

The 2nd reply is completely legitimate, honest, and outlines good support, he mentioned the problem, action and why.

Now, the thing here is that they are denying usage of what they give to me, because of bottlenecks in their infrastructure (too slow connection to network storage, and/or network storage device too slow to handle that many concurrent users and/or websites).

It's OK imho that they disabled the website, infact, i would prefer that way if there's a real problem. What they are doing although, is denying the right to use it to the full degree. Seeing as the most traffic consuming part is static content.

Here are google analytics statistics for that site:
8th day: 5,962 pageviews and 2,065 visitors
9th day: 2,981 pageviews and 846 visitors
10th day: 2,091 pageviews and 502 visitors
11th day: 52pageviews, 36visitors ** WEBSITE DISABLED **

DH Panel BW usage, 01/10 to 11/10: 145321.2 MB
So i remembered incorrectly, it was about ~140Gb for that period.
Not that much really. Cycle estimate: 396330.545 MB or ~394Gb

and as you notice, they clearly state that network was bogged down.
So basicly, that little amount of traffic got their server jammed :O

Quite little, eh? another intresting thing is that the spike was dimming already and everything getting back to normal.
I would think that's rather intresting, seeing that clearly it will use less than 1/4th of the assigned bandwidth allotment.

Now, i know for a fact, that any of my servers could handle that kind of spike, with increased loads, yes, but decreased responsiveness? Highly doubtfull.
Btw, linux load means just running processes, not real usage, but it's a very good indicator.

JPDeni

QuoteWell, in that case, why do they offer 200Gb HDD and 2Terabytes of traffic, if customer shouldn't use it?
I don't know. And, for my purposes, the question is completely beside the point, because I will never in my lifetime come even close to using what the account gives me. At the moment, I've got five websites in my Dreamhost space and I'm using 0% of both the disk space and the transfer allotment.

I'm really not interested in arguing with you about it. The bottom line is that it works for me and it didn't work for you. If it stops working for me, I'll find another place. I've done it before.

Skal Tura

Quote from: JPDeni on October 16, 2006, 02:18:49 PM
QuoteWell, in that case, why do they offer 200Gb HDD and 2Terabytes of traffic, if customer shouldn't use it?
I don't know. And, for my purposes, the question is completely beside the point, because I will never in my lifetime come even close to using what the account gives me. At the moment, I've got five websites in my Dreamhost space and I'm using 0% of both the disk space and the transfer allotment.

I'm really not interested in arguing with you about it. The bottom line is that it works for me and it didn't work for you. If it stops working for me, I'll find another place. I've done it before.

Yes, it works for you.
But what you were saying, that you shouldn't even expect to get to use it all.

Btw, try to video stream from there ;)

G6Cad

I think this have gone out of hand and to far, so this thread is now locked.