TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:23:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,105
  • Total Topics: 21,213
  • Online today: 310
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 287
  • Total: 287

Feature Requests: Password protected front end & PayPal subscription management

Started by apc, December 30, 2006, 01:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apc

I am not sure if this is already included but I will request it anyway.

Subscriber Access Control: For subscription membership sites it is usual to have a home page, in this case the TP home page, and then a login form to reach the rest of the site including the main forums.

I would like to request therefore that there is a home page login linked to the members table that requires the user to login to the forums and main site.

Paypal Subscription and Auto-Expire: This is linked to the above. Visitors can subscribe from the home page through PayPal to gain instant access to the members site. PayPal IPN would be required as well as account auto-expiration of accounts if the subscription payment failed.

There is a similar Joomla mod here as an example:

http://extensions.joomla.org/component/option,com_mtree/task,viewlink/link_id,1367/Itemid,35/

I think these alone will enhance TP considerably.

Thank you Bloc and the team for your consideration of this.

Xarcell

Have you tried teh subscriptions mod?

Just use that and restrict membergroup access to your boards. This way they have to pay for a subscription via paypal to see your forums.

apc

Quote from: Xarcell on December 30, 2006, 02:16:27 PM
Have you tried teh subscriptions mod?

Just use that and restrict membergroup access to your boards. This way they have to pay for a subscription via paypal to see your forums.

Does that totally block vistors from seeing the forums screen?

I need to totally block access to the inner site including forums to non-subscribers.

Xarcell

All that can be done through membergroup settings.

For example. If a user registers at your site, they are placed in the "regularmembers group" by default unless you specify otherwise.

So if you don't want them to see your forums, then in "admin > boards > modify", unchecked the regularmember group. BY doing this they cannot see those boards.

Then with your subscriptions group, make sure it is checked. That means anyone in the subscriptions group can see the boards.

Then with the subscriptions mod, set it up so that anyone that buys a subscription, is automactically placed in the subscriptions group. This will give them visibly and access to your boards.

EDIT: also, you can do this with everything else. Like if you don't want those who haven't subscrbed to see/use teh downloads manager, just uncheck the perssion for reguslar mamabers, but checked for subscribers.

You can also do more than one subscription group with higher paid packages, etc etc.

apc

Quote from: Xarcell on January 03, 2007, 03:19:24 PM
All that can be done through membergroup settings.

For example. If a user registers at your site, they are placed in the "regularmembers group" by default unless you specify otherwise.

So if you don't want them to see your forums, then in "admin > boards > modify", unchecked the regularmember group. BY doing this they cannot see those boards.

Then with your subscriptions group, make sure it is checked. That means anyone in the subscriptions group can see the boards.

Then with the subscriptions mod, set it up so that anyone that buys a subscription, is automactically placed in the subscriptions group. This will give them visibly and access to your boards.

EDIT: also, you can do this with everything else. Like if you don't want those who haven't subscrbed to see/use teh downloads manager, just uncheck the perssion for reguslar mamabers, but checked for subscribers.

You can also do more than one subscription group with higher paid packages, etc etc.

Thanks very much.

So will this totally prevent them from seeing the forums interface, i.e. the forums home page completely which is what I want to do?

Basically I need to allow access to the forums pages only to subscribers which is different from allowing only subscribers to see forum content.

Thank you.

apc

Quote from: Xarcell on January 03, 2007, 11:14:17 PM
I don't see a difference.

Well the difference is I don't want them to see the "inner" site including the forums; even if they can't view the posts. Usually on membership sites membersonly get access to the resources after they have joined, and that is what i want to do.

Thanks.

HappyFace

Won't this turn off potential members? I won't pay for anything i don't know if its good. But the idea is good.

bloc

I think by restricting all forums, and also set "guests not allowed to browse" you will only get the login screen.

townies

how do you specify which membergroup they will be - not the regular, but a subscriber?  Which file do I need to edit or is it in the admin and I am just not seeing it?

Also, if I plan to change my theme, should I do that first before adding a Paypal mod?

btw - I have a prepaid forum, and most of the members were referred by friends, so it is not a complete turn off.