TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:15:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,106
  • Total Topics: 21,213
  • Online today: 358
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 125
  • Total: 125

A few questions

Started by [chrisB], January 03, 2023, 09:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[chrisB]

Could you forward it onto the team to investigate for a fix please?

I get what you're saying, I personally have a chore list I do with all of my sites which includes checking for outdated information. My main site is football related and until the past few seasons, we'd have like 3 managers a season. 😂

But in this user case, I have a simple guest greeting that I want to replace with a version for members who are signed in. Not every admin will understand either, but I would admit that it would annoy me seeing it after a while.

@rjen

Ok, just re-acquainted (is that a word?) my self with the function.

It does work, but needs some explanation.

As you may have noticed 'administrator' is not a membergroup you can pick when assigning permissions for a block. (see attachment).
Basically administrator membergroup sees ALL or NONE of the blocks.

If you want the administrators to see certain blocks, you will need to assign the administrator to one or more additional membergroups in their profile: they will then see the blocks that those membergroups can see... (see second attachment)

It basically means that you can have pure admins show ALL blocks, or the blocks per named membergroup.
Blocks that are only visible to guests or ungrouped members will NOT show to admins if you set the setting 'Show admins all blocks' to OFF. You do not have the option to exclude or include specific guest blocks for admins only.

Running Latest TP on SMF2.1 at: www.fjr-club.nl

[chrisB]

I'm looking into what you've mentioned here rjen.

Could you do me one favour though please? Would you compare the panel code/permissions between the 'front panel' and the 'right panel'?

I've just moved the guest block to show inside the front panel, as an admin I cannot see it. To me, it seems that this could explain why admins see all the blocks or none at all. I wished I could compare and understand it, as to me, it seems if the other panels had the same permission code as the front panel - all the other panels would hide guest blocks to admins.

I am looking into the alternative group setup you mentioned though.

@rjen

I am not sure what you want to compare: panels do not have permissions, blocks have.

I tested again this morning and as far as I can see now, it is working as I described for blocks in the front panel, but not for the other panels: the blocks are not showing for an administrator even if he has the additional membergroups, except for the front panel

When I tested yesterday I was using a user that had a regular membergroup as the main group, and the administrator as an extra group: then it works as I decribed

Something is definately off here for user that have admin as main membergroup...

[chrisB]

Ah, I thought each panel might have its own permission.

If the other panels could act as the front panel does, that would eliminate any need for need to play around with the user groups (which I already have to customise the team page mod I use).

Looks like it could be a bug.

Thank you for checking into what I mentioned.

tino

As per our discussion on GitHub, I think it's working as was intended. I didn't implement it initially but logically following it through it works how I would expect.

The front panel block has always been treated differently to others, I don't know why that was, however the setting you are using seems to be functioning as I would expect it to.

@rjen

Still, if we can make the front panel follow suit, then it is consistent

tino

Quote from: @rjen on January 28, 2023, 03:25:18 PM

Hmm, tested this on elkarte and it doesn't work on the front panel when I correct the check. So I have changed this unintentionally somewhere...

tino

Quote from: tino on January 28, 2023, 03:57:15 PM
Quote from: @rjen on January 28, 2023, 03:25:18 PM

Hmm, tested this on elkarte and it doesn't work on the front panel when I correct the check. So I have changed this unintentionally somewhere...

Scrap that, they both work the same way. If you have ungrouped members checked and admin is not part of a group it shows, if you don't it doesn't. That seems logical to me.

@rjen

Not so much to me tbh.