TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:15:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,104
  • Total Topics: 21,212
  • Online today: 151
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 150
  • Total: 151
  • tino

Google BreadCrumb Errors On TP Pages

Started by jernatety, February 07, 2020, 08:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurkalot

Ah, right got you.  O0

I still think the TP setting needs renaming though, unless that setting also does something else as well that I can't see.

@rjen

It really makes no difference to me: I just think we should stay close to the SMF term used, and I always thought SMF calls it a 'linktree' (although I cannot find the term in the admin panel just now)
Running Latest TP on SMF2.1 at: www.fjr-club.nl

lurkalot

I agree, it's not a big deal to be honest.  I do get confused with these terms, never sure if breadcrumbs are the content of the linktree, or whether a linktree is something different from a breadcrumb trail.  My head tells me SMF uses the wrong term for this function though.  ;)

@rjen

I think you may be right, did some googling and linktree is much less commonly used as breadcrumb trail..

https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/03/breadcrumbs-in-web-design-examples-and-best-practices/

lurkalot

Quote from: @rjen on February 09, 2020, 02:07:20 PM
I think you may be right, did some googling and linktree is much less commonly used as breadcrumb trail..

https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/03/breadcrumbs-in-web-design-examples-and-best-practices/

Although I didn't see that page before now, I did do the google thing before I posted my thoughts, that's what led me to believe the wrong term being used.

Just looking at this TP setting,

Display linktree: show the series of links that shows your position within the site/forum.

Just cries breadcrumb trail to me. Certainly doesn't resemble a tree in its current form. lol.. 

Regarding jernatety's original question above.  I'm pretty sure he has this Linktree / breadcrumbs showing throughout the rest of his site, just doesn't want them on the articles.  I'm pretty sure not many people will click on it or use it, I rarely do to be fair.

The use of Query Title in all articles will also make things look better, I noticed the article I viewed (Clicked from a "Read More" link) wasn't using Query Title, so no page title in the url, just a page number, which is less than ideal IMO.

@rjen

tino

What TinyPortal has is a linktree.

As it's links to other sections imo.

@rjen

We are talking about this bit right, showing in the Articles...?

In my opinion that is 'breadcrumb navigation' since is shows where the user is in the article, following the structure of navigation Forum > Category > Child category > Article

It does not link to other (unrelated) sections in the forum.

lurkalot

Quote from: @rjen on February 12, 2020, 09:07:50 PM

We are talking about this bit right, showing in the Articles...?

Just in case.  Yes that's the bit I was referring to.  ;)

If this isn't what's commonly known as Breadcrumbs, then it's strange that Google is viewing it as such. I mean turning this off on a article will result in Google Search Console sending you Breadcrumbs warnings, and if turned on then the articles pass the Breadcrumb test.

@rjen

Well, that's what Google does, but only when the forum is using the Optimus MOD and Optimus is set to use
JSON-LD marking for  "breadcrumbs"