TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:11:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,106
  • Total Topics: 21,213
  • Online today: 358
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 118
  • Total: 118

[PAID][REVIEW] Hostgator.com (Updated)

Started by Avinash, June 20, 2006, 03:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avinash

Package: Baby Croc ($10.00 US per month)

Last week, I recently switched my hosting plan over to hostgator (http://hostgator.com). So far, I have only good things to say about these guys. First off, my previous host Godaddy charged me $50 for a database backup so I had great trouble figuring out a way to backup my website without paying the price. The hostgator techs offered to import my database for me if I uploaded it to the root of my ftp, and even fix the errors in the process. I didn't want to switch the nameservers to the new servers until my site was running 100%, so they walked me through the process of running the site through IP instead. Also, I wanted LaTEX rendering on my forum, and they willingly offered to install GhostScript + ImageMagick on the server to accomodate me. Overall, they have been very friendly hosts, and I have't once ran into any trouble with my new hosting.

Good:
-Amazing server speeds for php
-24/7 Live Support
-Amazing Trouble Ticket Services
-Offered to help me import my SQL tables when PHPMyAdmin was giving errors
-Great Uptime
-Easy setup and payment (I use paypal)
-First Month almost FREE (1 cent)

Bad:
-Nothing yet

If you want to get your first month free, enter the coupon code "whreviews" (without quotes) at the checkout.

Edit: My site running SMF + TP = http://mac-central.com

Tech Support Experience (Documented)
06.30.06 - 8:30pm
I logged onto my website to find the infamous, "SMF Cannot Connect to your databases" message.

06.30.06 - 8:32pm
I logged into my cpanel account, to find that my databases and users were gone and phpmyadmin gave a page error when I clicked it.

06.30.06 - 8:35pm
I entered the Hostgator Live chat support (24/7)
Log from chat:
info: Please wait for a HostGator operator to respond.
info: Welcome to HostGator Live Chat! You are now chatting with 'Brian'
Brian: Welcome to HostGator Live Chat, how may I assist you?
Avinash: hi, i loaded my site, and it gave errors about connecting to my sql database
Avinash: so i logged into cpanel
Brian: what is the path to the error?
Avinash: and all my databases are gone
Avinash: http://************
Brian: ok we can fix this for you . I will need you to submit a ticket and an admin will investigate this issue right away.
Brian: please send an email to support@hostgator.com
Avinash: okay, thanks
Avinash: what do you think the problem is?
Brian: we will send an email to you with solution with in an hour
Avinash: and is it fixable?
Brian: not sure
Avinash: okay, tahnks
Brian: it looks like
Brian: the database might have an error in it
Brian: we might be doing maintenance on mysql on your server as well
Avinash: okay thanks
Brian: Thank you for using HostGator Live Chat.  Your opinion is very important to us.  Please take a minute to fill out this form so that we may continue to improve our customer service and support. When ending the chat, please hit close and our survey will appear.

06.30.06 - 9:45pm
Sent email to support@Hostgator.com. I got an auto response about the opened ticket, which I noticed had a priority of LOW. I suppose all email support automatically gets tagged that way, so I'd advise you all to open tickets using the ticket site, and not through email.

06.30.06 - 9:45pm
After one hour, I decided to go back into live chat. Here's the log:
info: Please wait for a HostGator operator to respond.
info: Welcome to HostGator Live Chat! You are now chatting with 'Scott'
Scott: Welcome to HostGator Live Chat, how may I assist you?
avinash: i submitted a ticket, and the last live chat person said it would be attended to within 1hr
Scott: Not a problem.  This is something one of our admins can take care of.
Scott: What is the ticket number?
avinash: i checked the ticket, and it has priority of low
avinash: TLW-******
Scott: I will upgrade the priority to get it taken care of faster.
avinash: okay, thanks
Scott: You're welcome!
avinash: how long do you think it will take?
Scott: It should be taken care of within 2 hours or so.
avinash: okay thanks again
Scott: You're welcome!
avinash: goodnight
Scott: Thank you for using HostGator Live Chat.  Your opinion is very important to us.  Please take a minute to fill out this form so that we may continue to improve our customer service and support. When ending the chat, please hit close and our survey will appear.

06.30.06 - 10:47pm
Within 1 hour, I received an email with the following:
Hello,
We apologize for this inconvenience, we had a problem with the server and had to restore all the mysql users. The database contents is still there and working fine. We have flushed privileges and your site is working now. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you tonight. Thank you and have a good night!

Best Regards,
HostGator Support Team

Within about 2-3hrs of finding the problem, the tech support was able to get it fixed. When I saw the error, and the missing databases, I imagined the worst, seeing as I hadnt backed up through phpmyadmin for the past month. Luckily they were able to resolve everything, and nothing was lost. Again, I think this is a good example of Hostgator's superb tech support!

deniz

i have baby package since long time. their support and features are fine.

anunlike

Please read and follow the Board Rules. You're required to provide a link to a working SMF + TP install.

JewelCG

HostGator! Yes!

I too have hosting with them.  I have the basic dedicated server.  I've only been with them for a little over a month but I am much pleased with their service and willingness to help.  I was with another company for over five years and never, ever recieved the same level of tech support. 

I have to admit that the whole reseller/shared hosting is a bit foreign to me as I went straight from free websites, to hosting one virtual site, to a dedicated server.  I skipped the rest.  Ahh the days of the old Cobalt Raq4. 

I would recommend Host Gator to anyone so far.

And just to have a link..  here's one of the sites I am working on. It's using the Dilber Theme with a custom banner.

http://shsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?action=forum

stigmartyr

I have used Hotgator b4 - not too bad.  They have recently absorbed lots of smaller hosts.  Reseller plans aren't too shabby

[EDITED By G6] Removed the other info that followed.

anunlike

Ã,§tigmartyr,

Don't highjack this topic. If you want to advertise your site, please do so in a topic devoted solely to your host.

redone

When posting please bear in mind that we do have rules about posting in this board. You will be gently told to clean up your post or we will edit or possibly remove it depending on a moderators decision.

Remember you need to include a working link to a TP install when posting.

Thanks for your understanding.

:)

p.s I have used Hostgator in the past. Never had any issues with them and the prices are competitive. Support is available 24/7 and response was fast when I used them. Live support is not fantastic at times you often get standard responses like we are looking into that etc. Overall though a very good host and worth the money.

Avinash

Quote from: redone on June 21, 2006, 01:02:51 PM
When posting please bear in mind that we do have rules about posting in this board. You will be gently told to clean up your post or we will edit or possibly remove it depending on a moderators decision.

Remember you need to include a working link to a TP install when posting.

Thanks for your understanding.

I believe my post has a link.

G6Cad

Yes it have, after you edited the post and put one in :)

leoedin

I can't access the site linked - maybe hostgators not so good :o

Avinash

Quote from: leoedin on June 21, 2006, 05:31:09 PM
I can't access the site linked - maybe hostgators not so good :o
It works for me. That's weird. What country are you from. Try doing this:
start> run> cmd
at the prompt enter: tracert mac-central.com

leoedin

I'm in the UK...

have you accessed it before, perhaps its cached...

*checks*

Leo

edit: Works now

perhaps the link you posted in the first post is bad?

JewelCG

Works fine for me as well Avinash.  Site looks good too.

leoedin

nope...perhaps my internet connection dropped for a moment.
Ah well...nice site. :)

edit: My connection had indeed dropped :o

Avinash

Thanks for the comments JewelCG and leoedin. If you guys like the site, please vote for it, as it is nominated for the site of the month. http://www.tinyportal.net/smf/index.php?topic=5831.0 . The voting will open soon.

Xarcell

I took a look at this and I was impressed.

I may move there next year, once my current account with dreamhost is up.

G6Cad

It took over 60 sec for me to load that to, so something is interfear with the connection some times, tried it from my Mac to, and the same there, after ca 2 min, the page loaded just fine in the first PC.

Great looking site to, i agree with Xarcell, exept for changing host, im very pleased with the one i have :)

akulion

I think 1 week is too short a time to be able to give a review of a host.

It took me nearly 6 months before I said anything good about my host mainly because you never know in a matter of a month or 2 if its good or not since you my just have been the lucky fellow to have been placed on a new server with no issues yet :P

Avinash

Added documentation of my first major experience with techsupport. See first post.

redone

Whilst I agree that Live Support is useful to be honest you often get the "An admin will look into that for you" or "I will submit your request for a someone else to review" type of response which for me actually doubts the actual "real" use of live chat. At the end of the day if you cannot get your issue resolved in a quick manner via live chat in my eyes its pretty useless.

From my memoryu of Hostgator and I used them about 8 months or so ago it was pretty common for your MySQL database to disappear and then re-appear when you contacted them. It's pretty bad to see they are still having the same issues. Monitor it and see how you go though but I personally left them for that reason.

Overall not a bad host and with good uptime. But with the issues that I find above I would give them a 5/10.

Keep us posted though. :)