TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:07:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,164
  • Total Topics: 21,219
  • Online today: 266
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 124
  • Total: 125
  • @rjen

Shoutbox - Only Admin Can Input a Shout

Started by Suz, September 18, 2017, 07:35:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suz

Greetings!

First let me say thank you for all your ongoing work with Tiny Portal. I used it very happily in 2009 and 2010 and was quite happy to see that it's still supported when I began installing SMF 2.0.14.

I am having some issues, though. Several, in fact, but I always assume first that it's operator error and therefore I am kind of muddling through with most of it in the hopes of finding the answers myself.

However, I can't seem to find anyone else addressing this issue so I'll put it out there.

The only person who can even see the input field, editing, and smileys in the Shoutbox is me when on the admin account.  At this juncture I have only admin accounts and general user accounts and have turned off all access to guests.

While talking to myself is a bit of a habit, I need the Shoutbox to work for my general users, moderators, etc.

I'm using:
Forum version: SMF 2.0.14
Current SMF version: SMF 2.0.14
GD version: bundled (2.1.0 compatible)
MySQL version: 10.1.24-MariaDB-cll-lve
PHP: 5.6.31
Server version: Apache

The themes installed are Curve, Core, Fuse, and Ancient and Rusted. Theme doesn't seem to be relevant as it happens on all of them.

Default Forum Language is English (the only one installed that I am aware of)

This issue happens on Pale Moon 27.4.2; Firefox 47.0.2; Chrome 60.0.3112.113; Samsung Internet 4.0.10-53; and Chrome for Android 60.0.3112.116 (both of the last on Android 5.0).

The only mod I've installed (besides themes) is TinyPortal 1.3

There are no error messages, just lack of function for anyone but admins.

Have I missed something? Nobody else seems to have this problem, either that or I'm not searching in the right place or searching with the correct nomenclature.

Any help you can give would be much appreciated.

lurkalot

Hi and thanks for the kind comments, glad to see you're still using TP

I'm guessing this is a permissions problem.  All the latest versions of TP have their permission added to the same page as the SMF permissions, just so they are all in one place.

So, Admin > Members > Permissions. Click modify for the group you wish to change the setting for, and find > Can Post Shouts. Tick the box and save.

Hope this helps.  ;)

Suz

Quote from: lurkalot on September 18, 2017, 08:04:49 PM

I'm guessing this is a permissions problem.  All the latest versions of TP have their permission added to the same page as the SMF permissions, just so they are all in one place.

Eureka!  Imagine my surprise to open up permissions and see "Manage Tiny Portals" group there. :) Thank you so much for your quick and helpful response!

I feel like I should now be considering what sort of offerings to send up to the lurkalot god.

Now if I can only figure out how to make it work in a page-width format at the top of the page without it taking up more space than I want it to consume.

Thanks again. This now accounts for one successful thing I've done today. hahaha

lurkalot

No problem, glad it's working. 

As for your other dilemma.  You could move the shoutbox to a Top or upper block, and then choose the second layout for the shoubox which is slightly more compact (only slightly though).

It can be found in Tinyportal Admin > TPShout > Settings.  Scroll to bottom to see the two layout options.

Suz

Quote from: lurkalot on September 18, 2017, 08:52:25 PM
No problem, glad it's working. 

As for your other dilemma.  You could move the shoutbox to a Top or upper block, and then choose the second layout for the shoubox which is slightly more compact (only slightly though).

It can be found in Tinyportal Admin > TPShout > Settings.  Scroll to bottom to see the two layout options.

Thanks!  That helped some. I realized that I had seen that screen once and then forgot about it.  You're right, even the more compact is a bit too chunky for my liking.  I'd rather have the name and date/time read on the same line and, if necessary, have the input text as the second line. Also, the input box is insanely large, it could suffice with half as much space, I think.

I suspect that will take a php tweak, though.

lurkalot

Quote from: Suz on September 18, 2017, 09:28:44 PM

Thanks!  That helped some. I realized that I had seen that screen once and then forgot about it.  You're right, even the more compact is a bit too chunky for my liking.  I'd rather have the name and date/time read on the same line and, if necessary, have the input text as the second line. Also, the input box is insanely large, it could suffice with half as much space, I think.

I suspect that will take a php tweak, though.

Thought you'd say that, lol..  I agree which is why I said it would be only slightly more compact. It could be better built for this purpose, something on my mission list.  ;)

Suz

Quote from: lurkalot on September 18, 2017, 09:34:57 PM

Thought you'd say that, lol..  I agree which is why I said it would be only slightly more compact. It could be better built for this purpose, something on my mission list.  ;)

I'm going to have to learn to tweak php, aren't I? hahaha Every time I make headway with one language I have to learn bits of another. hahaha

Suz

It just occurred to me that it might be better suited to be added to a page that can be popped out.