TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:56:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,173
  • Total Topics: 21,219
  • Online today: 319
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 204
  • Total: 205
  • tino

"An Error Has Occurred!" - when in "Manage Boards and Categories"

Started by skiller, June 08, 2007, 06:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiller

I am running SMF v1.1.2 + TP 0.9.8

I have made a simple admin manipulation error of trying to change a parent board to a child board, so that it is listed along its own child boards. so now it doesn't have any parent category.
as indicated by the error message, i ran "Find and repair any errors." but it says no errors found.
there is a new category at the very top of my forum "Salvaged Area" and the parent category is called "Salvaged Topics" and has all the child boards inside.
however, i still cannot access the listing of boards from the admin panel.
whenever i click on the "boards" link from the admin panel, i get the error:
"Board "one of my child boards' name" does not have a valid parent. Use the 'find and repair errors' function to fix this.

I run the repair feature again and again and it still says no errors found, but i still cannot access my boards listing under "boards" in the admin panel.

I really hope someone can help me out on this... it is a major problem for me, as my forum has about 4000 members and is very active. The "Salvaged Area" at the top of my forum is just confusing my members.

Thanks all for your much appreciated feedback and support.

P.S. i have tried running the 3 files in the upgrade package, trying to repair via the forum settings itself but it changed nothing. I don't know much about handling databases, which i fear might be the only way to fix this situation.

G6Cad

Another question for Simplemachines.org to give you an answer to.
You have to separate whats SMF forum and whats the TP modification.

This site support TinyPortal mod, and SMF supports the forum.

skiller

Thanks for your reply G6.... but i have already asked in SMF support threads, and there's no reply though a lot of views on my topic there :(

Just a quick guess though... can this actually be fixed without having to manually handle the database itself? Since i cannot access my boards listing, it means that i cannot set edit/permissions to boards or add moderators to boards. This is a very serious problem for me :-\ at this point, i am even considering converting to phpbb... (just trying (hard) to find a way to keep my community going).

G6Cad

If they dont answer you stiull have to wait for them to give you a reply, or search the site there.
We cant give the answers all the time for something we dont support.

skiller

I do understand your point on this G6.

Btw, i managed to fix it :D i've been haunting the SQL for some hours... and finally decided to give it a go and deleted the corrupt table. i then created a new category and moved all the boards there. then deleted the corrupt category (which was still there) and ran "check and fix errors" which cleared a good dozen of boards errors :D Hope this info helps someone (though i don't wish for anyone to come across such a 'nasty' prob, as it required direct db editing).

Anyways, i appreciate your reply G6.

cheers,
skiller