TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:36:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,105
  • Total Topics: 21,213
  • Online today: 78
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 122
  • Total: 122

Beginners Install Questions

Started by TPfan, March 14, 2009, 12:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TPfan

Hello

I have tried to do my own manual install; so far without success.  But that's not going to stop me.

I have a little confusion, I think, about what versions of what files to use.

The forum I am trying this TP install with is powered by SMF 1.1.8, and although I think I did download and install all the files and folders correctly; I am not sure that I used the right version.  Its a good thing I saved in a seperate folder, copies of al the unedited files!!  It made restoring the forum a breeze!

First, I did create a folder on my computer called TPmanual-install as per the instructions; but inside there are a lot of files to choose from, to use in editing the files on my site for a TP install.  The file I used was called tinyportal09x-11x.  This did not appear to be the correct one, as when I went to edit the Errors.php file, and one other file; I could see it was two different things. But then, i did not know how to choose the correct one either, I just guessed!

So what I need to know is what version of TP is best to use for the forum version that I have?  I saw a number of different versions to download, (beta 1,2, & 3) as well as the 0.9.8 version) and have realized that I have no idea how to decide which one I should use.  And which of those files in the TPmanual-install folder do I use for editing that is needed?

I did spend several hours fiddling on my own, plus looking here a bit before posting this, so I hope you will be patient with a few questions that are likely quite elementary here.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Renegd98

The latest version of TP is Beta 3 and it works fine on SMF 1.1.8.

Did you try letting the package manager install TP, as that is the usual manner of installation.

Also, Please read the Posting Guidelines.html. This info will help us to help you.

TPfan

Thanks for the reply.  Your suggestion was way too simple!  I am pretty dense sometimes with this stuff; but I just tried letting the Package manager doing it, and it worked like a charm.

At first I was scared to try the install as when I started it; it showed some kind of error with the following two files:

./Themes/babylon/index.template.php

./Themes/default/Help.template.php

But I tried it anyway and it seems fine...

Renegd98

You won't have any issues with the Babylon unless you use that theme...  as for the help files. You can look thru this How do I manually install TinyPortal and see what changes it makes for help files only and make those manually if you want them.