TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:20:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,164
  • Total Topics: 21,219
  • Online today: 266
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 233
  • Total: 233

SMF Web Install.

Started by alan s, September 26, 2006, 10:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan s

I just noticed that a webinstall script was released to charter members a few days ago.

This was posted in one of the CM boards.

QuoteDear Charter Members,

Simple Machines is proud to announce Webinstall, a new way to download the installation and upgrade packages.  We would like to offer this to you, our Charter Members, well in advance of its public release.

Webinstall is a small PHP script that you upload to your server at the location you want the forum’s root directory to be.  Then you simply point your browser to the Webinstall file and follow the directions.  Through the script, you may optionally log into your Simple Machines Community Forum account and access any packages that are limited to Charter Members.

After you’ve selected the version of SMF and any languages you would like installed, the Webinstall script will download the files from our server and uncompress them.  It will then turn control over to the install script.

Upgrading is also possible with the Webinstall script.  Simply upload the file to the same location as Settings.php and point your browser to the Webinstall file, and proceed as normal.  You may also select additional languages to install while upgrading.  As always we'd like to remind you to always backup your files and data before upgrading.

It is recommended that you have Javascript enabled while running the Webinstall script; so that you may simply select the files you want and then walk away while it downloads and uncompresses the files.

Some servers do not allow you to execute scripts with a file permission of 777.  If you are on one of these servers you can override the default file permission by filling in the desired file setting (in numeric form) in the field below the language choices.

If you encounter a 500 error code when the Webinstall script switches to the upgrade or install script, then you are most likely on a server that doesn't allow a file permission of 777.  You should either manually change the file permissions or you can run the Webinstall script again and override the file permission.

Thanks,
Simple Machines

Its actually a very nice script. Its handy as the download and upload process took me about 20 seconds when i tryed it out.

I've attached a screenshot.

Just thought i'd share the news with people. The thing is would anybody actually use it? I would certainly the script is 60kb in size which would be a lot quicker to download and upload than a 2mb/5mb file/s.

akulion

copied from joomla?

all the same its a good feature to have