TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:02:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,104
  • Total Topics: 21,212
  • Online today: 143
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 96
  • Total: 96

Title bar still shows even when not showing title on articles

Started by Oldiesmann, June 12, 2019, 08:00:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldiesmann

Link to my forum: https://test.christianphotographers.com
SMF version: 2.1 RC2
TP version: 1.6.3
Default Forum Language: English
Theme name and version: Curve 2
Browser Name and Version: Chromium/75
Mods installed: None
Related Error messages: N/A

Starting to set up more articles on the Christian Photographers test site (the plan right now is to set everything up there, then move the forum, install TP and copy the articles over afterwards), and I've noticed a minor issue... When you deselect the "Show Title" option for an article, the area where the title would be displayed is still shown.

Example: https://test.christianphotographers.com/index.php?page=psalms_index - note the section with the orange bars where the title would normally go.

There's no point in displaying that part if we have nothing to display in it.

@rjen

Funny: it has always been like this: setting the title to display only removes the Title text from the header, it does not remove the header itself.

Maybe it becomes more clear in 2.1 because the header does not have a fixed height anymore.

Not sure is this is easily fixable, or if fixing it does not create problems for others that  actually like to see the empty header bar when no title is used...

Running Latest TP on SMF2.1 at: www.fjr-club.nl

lurkalot

Quote from: @rjen on June 12, 2019, 08:54:55 AM
Funny: it has always been like this: setting the title to display only removes the Title text from the header, it does not remove the header itself.

Must admit, I've looked at this and wondered why it was showing, that was ages ago. I guess I'm so used to it being there I didn't remember to mention it.

https://cctestsite.info/testsite3/index.php?page=links
https://guitaristguild.com/index.php?page=links

Now it's been brought to my attention again I'm finding it slightly annoying now.  Shouldn't we be able to turn it off completely, in fact should behave exactly the same as it does with the blocks, and have the same title style options?

@rjen

I made some changes and added the option to use only frame style and not title style to articles (same setup as for blocks) .

Attached updated package for testing. Will need to be checked with the various article layouts but it seems to work ok for the common type..

lurkalot

@rjen

There is an interesting challenge with an article when not showing the title though: from a Frontpage or category view you cannot get to the article page anymore unless you use intro text : the clickable title text is missing ...

Secondly there are some category layout options that (partly) ignore this article setting (and some for a reason I think) that need testing and feedback : articles and avatars and articles and icons for example...

lurkalot

Damn, didn't even consider the front page stuff.  and that was so close to working as required.

Wonder if some of these layout options should be in category settings instead of individual articles.  At least then you could have articles that behave as they should on front page, and others in a category where you don't want all this stuff showing.  I know each category has a Custom layout setting, but I've never used it, and not even sure if that works properly now. 

It's a tricky one to be sure.

@rjen

Not something I would think of changing atm

The layouts are set for the frontpage or for the category pages: the 8 layout options are checked by me and corrected to work with the new setting.
The custom layout is for the advanced users to play with...

All changes are in beta version 1.6.4: Oldiesman, if you want you can test with attached package...

Note:
if the article option is chosen to not view the title, the header style remains by default (existing functionality). To suppress the header bar for an article it is needed to to ALSO set the "Use frame style, but not title style" option in the articles.

lurkalot

Quote from: @rjen on June 13, 2019, 02:33:48 PM

Not something I would think of changing atm

Absolutley, I wasn't expecting this to happen, was just throwing thoughts and ideas around.  ;)

It seems to work pretty well with your last tweaks to be honest.  O0