TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:19:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,104
  • Total Topics: 21,212
  • Online today: 151
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 143
  • Total: 144
  • tino

[Survey] Article Category Icons & Features

Started by Ken., November 06, 2015, 06:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken.

Dear Members:

This is a survey for you to let us know what you like about TinyPortal Articles Categories and how you use them. Please take a couple of minutes to let us know how you use any of the category features with your articles.
... after you complete the survey questions please visit the Discussion Topic and post any follow up comments or questions.

1/ Do you use the different layout options for categories? This is the lower section where you can select from layout options that include icons and illustrative icons.

2/ Do you use the different layout types for categories? This is the upper section where you can select from columns. As seen in this image:

3/ Are you familiar with the icons and illustrative icons that can be used with articles in the category view?

4/ Do you use the category view page to look at articles contained in a category? This would be a page that ends in /index.php?cat=#

Copy this form and paste it into your reply for an easy way to respond, your comments can go after each question.

1/ Do you use the different layout options for categories? This is the lower section where you can select from layout options that include icons and illustrative icons.
[color=red][i]... add your reply here:[/i][/color]

[hr][hr]
2/ Do you use the different layout types for categories? This is the upper section where you can select from columns.

[hr][hr]

3/ Are you familiar with the icons and illustrative icons that can be used with articles in the category view?

[hr][hr]

4/ Do you use the category view page to look at articles contained in a category? this would be a page that ends in /index.php?cat=#

[hr][hr]

[color=red][i]... add any other comments here:[/i][/color]

" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
Yesterday When I was Young.

lurkalot

No I don't use those, but I do use the layouts for the front page.

2/ Do you use the different layout types for categories? This is the upper section where you can select from columns.
No I don't use those, but I do use the layouts for the front page.

No I don't use those, but I have used them for the front page.

4/ Do you use the category view page to look at articles contained in a category? this would be a page that ends in /index.php?cat=#
No, actually haven't explored that feature, to its limits. I'm guessing someone more into using articles would find it useful, just not me.

Article system is what sets TP apart from other portals, a lot could be improved to make it easier to use and understand, but apart from that it's a very powerful system.  I would say the heart of TP itself.

WillyP

TP Docs is off limits when I follow the link in the first post.

Requires a login, login unsuccessful.

I can accesses TPDocs when I follow the link in Ken's sig, but still can't login.

Ken.

Quote from: WillyP on November 09, 2015, 10:49:52 PM
TP Docs is off limits when I follow the link in the first post.

Requires a login, login unsuccessful.

I can accesses TPDocs when I follow the link in Ken's sig, but still can't login.

Sorry for the confusion Willy... that how-to article has been moved to an admin area for editing purposes so that breaks the link of course. I should have removed that link already, it has been removed now.
Thanks for the catch.  O0

On the log-in part... the Docs site is set up for 'read only' so that's why you aren't able to log in.
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Ken.

Yes... at various times I have used all of the options available in the TinyPortal Article System. Some more than others of course, but I consider them all to be of significant importance.

Yes, for my personal site this is not used for my home page, it uses a TP Menu Block instead, but for my test sites this feature is used quite often.

Yes.  ;)

Yes... this is almost always the case. If you have more than 3-4 Articles in your inventory then the Category system is a great tool that can be used to help keep them organized into coherent groups. Lots easier to find an article using the Category system.

The article system is the single most important part of TP that sets us apart from all of the other portals that are out there. If you look at any of the other portals, (and I have) you will see that all of them do mostly the same stuff.
If you only want a 'front/home' page it's easy to find a portal for that.
If you just want to use 'blocks', again it's easy to find a portal for that.
But, if you want a decent article system, then there is only one choice... TinyPortal!

wildenborch

No, i have the same layout for all my catogories. (not really true because I just changed one category just to see the possibilities. But this new setting I will now probably use for all categories!)[/i]

No, i have the same layout for all my catogories

Yes, I just tried it!  :)

Yes

The article system was and is the main reason why I use Tinyportal. In fact I don't use the forum on my private website.