TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:49:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,164
  • Total Topics: 21,219
  • Online today: 203
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 75
  • Total: 76
  • tino

Please recommend a good host

Started by Blunt, September 15, 2007, 12:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blunt

I've been hosted by asmallorange for a few years now, but from time to time my website is very slow loading and members have complained about speed issues. Apparently they don't have a very strong connection into the backbone of blah, etc., whatever it is, which makes transatlantic connections slow, or something...

Anyway, I would like to change hosts and would be grateful if somebody could genuinely recommend a good host. Thanks.

Oh, BTW, I liked the look of one.com, which somebody recommended on here a while back, but when I tried to register on there I was told (via their tech help chat window) you have to host both your domain and your site with them. Both, or nothing. When I questioned the accuracy of what I was told, I received no reply to my e-mail (this happened a couple weeks ago) even though they promise in writing to answer all e-mails within 24 hours.

Ken.

Over on SMF you can find a whole section devoted to hosting and you'll find lots of good recommendations there.

I've used the big "1" and it worked very well for my html site but when I started switching my site more to a SMF forum based site the problems started and never let up until I changed to another host.
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
Yesterday When I was Young.

Zetan

I can recommend EvoHosting (affiliate link.. not working).
I've had very few problems with them. Support is superb, feature rich cPanel, use your existing domain name.
Highly recommended by me.

I do know other members here also offer hosting too.

Blunt

Thanks for your help, both - I've signed up with Evohost. Now I've just got to figure out how to move everything over from my existing host :-\

BTW, if tinyportal ever get their own hosting sorted out, I would probably change over to using them.

Ken.

There are lots of topics for changing hosts over on SMF, plus you may find this article in the Docs section to be helpful:
http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?topic=489
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
Yesterday When I was Young.

Crip

I'd sugguest one of these 2:
www.mochahost.com/
www.mediatemple.net/
I have become comfortably numb!

Cripzone | Crip's Free 2.0.2 Themes

Rafferty

www.webregiment.com

I have 2 big forums and several web sites operating there and have no problems

falguni1

wot do u people think about hostmonster

Lesmond

Quote from: falguni1 on October 10, 2007, 07:07:08 AM
wot do u people think about hostmonster
You can always look up TinyPortal Hosting  :up:

sorry for the unashamed plug :)

MackMixer

Rory Helm

I'm currently looking for a new web-host.  My two basic requirements are 1) adult material is allowed and 2) sufficient CPU load is permitted.

I had an account at ONET - but the CPU load there is limited to 4.5%.  We were by no means a photo intensive site, but when we got more than 10 members on line at the same time the CPU load would jump to 7%, (and once even jumped to 13-17%) and we'd get suspended.

I really like Lunarpages - as they have a 20% CPU load limit, but i get frequent "SMF error - cannot find database" there.

G6Cad

Can only say you should talk to Tick or Lesmond on www.tinyportalhosting.net and see if you can work something out with them.

paley

I would recommend proclanhosting.com I've had a joomla/smf bridge set up there on my account and have had no problems. I'm getting ready to try out tiny portal on another one of my sites hosted with them. There a highly recommended gamer site hosting company and I think they deal alot more with cms sites than most other hosting companies do.

This is my gaming site  it's still in the works:

www.164th.us

My tiny portal site just started:

www.xbox-now.com

Smoky

here is mine, check him out, the service he provides is excellent.. worth every dime.. he also works with people overseas.. http://www.toneshosting.com/  and the support he gives is even better.  ;)