TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:02:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,164
  • Total Topics: 21,219
  • Online today: 203
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 84
  • Total: 85
  • tino

TP upgrade Beta 4 to 5 then 5-1 - home page not working

Started by markym, June 02, 2010, 08:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markym

Hi guys, I need your help. today I upgraded from TP beta 4, to 5-1 and my TP home page on our fourms isn't working.  I went back and installed Beta 5 thinking maybe I needed that first then reinstalled beta 5-1 but still I have this error ..[an error occurred while processing this directive] when I try to get to our home page. I can access all my blocks from admin tab and can access all other sections of our forum but not the home page where all my TP blocks and such are.

I'm using SMF 1.1.11  TP Version 1.0 Beta 5-1 my forum is Black Rain by Crip. I tried to uninstall to roll all the way back to Beta 4 and it shows errors in the Sources/Load.php and Sources/Subs.php list so I'm not sure how to fix the problem.

Any help would be appreciated. I thought I saw a post in the new area where others had this problem with their home page not working after the upgrade but couldn't find anything here in the Support area.  As always thanks for your help.

uodate: I was able to fully roll back to Beta 4 after a few attempts and uninstall of 5-1 and 5.0 then reapplied 4.0.  Still would like to figure out what went wrong with 5-0 and 5-1 that won't work with our TP home page.

IchBin

Well if you want help figuring out the problem you'll have to tell us some information. It's usually easier to trouble shoot something when the problem is available to look at too. So either put it back to where the problem exists or create a copy of your live forum and reproduce the same problem.

What is your frontpage set to show?
Did you tryTry changing your frontpage setings?
Did you look at the problem while in the default theme?

markym

Ich ..thanks for the post.  The front page of my forum contains mostly blocs of information, lots of bbc code in those blocks that link to Gametracker for our server stats. The rest is standard blocks of recent forum posts and such and the forum itself is also on the home page.  I have a shoutbox too. Nothing that I can see out of the ordinary.  I did roll back to Beta 4. Tried again to go Beta 5 and then Beta 5-1. Neither 5 or 5-1 will work with the homepage.  I did actually try turning off some of the blocs to see if one of them was the issue but same result.  I'm not very versed in php so I'm not quite sure what to do or why the TP homepage isn't working with the new Beta release.  For now, I guess I'll just run Beta 4, although I'd love to help fix the problem as I'm sure someone else may have homepage issues too with Beta 5.

What were the major changes in Beta 5 that would affect the homepage like this. All the other Beta's up to 4 have worked fine.  Something with Beta 5 must have changed. Maybe it's my forum theme Black Rain. Here's our forum IP if you want to see what we look like.

http://www.partypiratesclan.com/forum2

ZarPrime

markym,

There is absolutely nothing we can do to help you figure out why your FrontPage is not working with the latest TinyPortal if you have reverted back to TP 1.0 beta 4.  The problem is probably, as you have surmised, with one or more custom block codes but there's no way to know this for sure.  Since a Guest can't even see your FrontPage or your Forum, there is really nothing we can do to give you advice right now.

The best thing you could do is to clone your live site to a test site and then switch the test site to the default SMF core theme, uninstall beta 4 and install beta 5-1.  If you do that, we will have something to work with.  It also might not be a bad idea to turn off all of your blocks that contain custom code (everything but the standard TP blocks) and then turn them back on one at a time until you find the one (or more) that cause the problem.  Only after getting everything to work right with the default SMF theme should you then switch to a custom theme and try it again.

The alternative is to post the code here for each of your custom code blocks so that we can check it on our test sites.  Maybe we can find out which code blocks are the problem by doing that.

ZarPrime

lurkalot

Quote from: ZarPrime on June 06, 2010, 05:48:37 PM

The best thing you could do is to clone your live site to a test site

ZarPrime

ZarPrime, not wishing to hijack this thread but I would like some more info on how to clone a live site to make a test site.  Do you want me to start a new thread, or can you point me to a step by step guide somewhere. ?   I have a test domain already. ;)

Ken.

" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
Yesterday When I was Young.

lurkalot

Quote from: Ken. on June 06, 2010, 06:23:32 PM
You can find a nice guide here:
http://www.tinyportal.net/help/index.php?topic=143

Thanks Ken.  O0  looks a bit complicated for me, but I'll read through it a few times.  ;)

IchBin

In simple terms lurkalot, you do this:

1. Create a folder so that you can access it by going to a different URL on your site. For instance, let's say that your site is at www.mysite.com/forum/ create a folder called dev in the root so that you can visit the test install at www.mysite.com/dev/
2. Copy all your SMF files from /forum to the /dev folder.
3. Export the database from your host (most use phpMyAdmin). This gives you a copy of the database.
4. Create a new database in phpMyAdmin. Name it whatever you want. Import the copy that you exported from step #3.
5. Open up the /dev/Settings.php file and change the database name to reflect the new name created in Step #4.
6. You'll then want to run repair_settings.php from SMF to fix all of the paths that SMF needs to change from /forum to /dev.

Hope that helps.

lurkalot