TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:35:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,164
  • Total Topics: 21,219
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 161
  • Total: 161

How Can I Tell If My Host Is Slow?

Started by sheik28, December 14, 2008, 09:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheik28

Exactly that.
My site is very slow. Is there a way to see if it is my site's fault or if it is my host?
Thanks.

G6Cad

Shared servers and big sites are not a combo that works for the best regarding fast loading sites.
You didnt give us any info about what host, or anything about your site and what you have there so it's more or less impossible to give you an answer to your question.

sheik28

1and1 is my host for www.freeblackberrystuff.com.
It isn't a particularly large site. Yet :)

G6Cad

Well, i have loading times between 13 and 30sec for every page on your site, how many errors do you have in the log, and does the site loads faster with default Core theme ?

What you can do to test is to create a test site in a sub folder and check if it have the same load with defaults and nothing else, then start adding in tp and check again and so on to see where the load gets to be slow on that site to

ApplianceJunk

QuoteWell, i have loading times between 13 and 30sec for every page on your site,

Same here.

IchBin

There are a lot of factors that can go into a slow site. One thing you can disable in SMF that makes a significant load time change for some is the "disable hostname lookup" in Admin > features and options > Basic Settings page. See how your site reacts after turning that off.

The other factors are usually problems with other sites on a shared host. Looking at a reverse DNS lookup of your site, I see that there are over a 170 sites hosted on the same server as you. So if your test install still yields a slow SMF/TP install then you should go to your host.

Ianedres

I would expect a suitable 'build' time for a page (as reported in the footer) to be in the ballpark of just under 1 sec to perhaps 3 secs at the high end, for most shared servers that aren't oversold. Recently, my site experienced builds of  >30 secs and I squawked about that- and after about ten emails, they changed something and I got back down to acceptable traffic rates.

As Ich said, many things are going on in the server, so 'your mileage may vary' depending on not just your site's configuration, but any other sites using the same web server and/or SQL database server. If you are logging errors and other visitor details, you're looking at additional traffic. Graphics and scripts from external sites may slow your site also.

Jokey

Quote from: Ianedres on December 17, 2008, 03:54:30 AM
I would expect a suitable 'build' time for a page (as reported in the footer) to be in the ballpark of just under 1 sec to perhaps 3 secs at the high end, for most shared servers that aren't oversold. Recently, my site experienced builds of  >30 secs and I squawked about that- and after about ten emails, they changed something and I got back down to acceptable traffic rates.

As Ich said, many things are going on in the server, so 'your mileage may vary' depending on not just your site's configuration, but any other sites using the same web server and/or SQL database server. If you are logging errors and other visitor details, you're looking at additional traffic. Graphics and scripts from external sites may slow your site also.

Just my opinion, but I have known a few people who have used this host as well, and they are generally slow, but you also have ALOT of ads on your site, this too will slow your site down as it has to pull that info as it loads. Ads are not a good thing, imho.

;)

sheik28

An error I discovered:
Sources/Load.php(1741) : eval()'d code(183) : eval()'d code on line 1
Line 1741 in  Load.php file reads: $file_found = file_exists($filename) && eval('?' . '>' . rtrim(file_get_contents($filename))) !== false;]

Lines 1740-1743: {
$file_found = file_exists($filename) && eval('?' . '>' . rtrim(file_get_contents($filename))) !== false;
$settings['current_include_filename'] = $filename;
}

I appreciate all of the responses and suggestions.
Thanks

sheik28

I have another site (actually 2 other sites) that are a part of that shared server. They seem to load fine BUT they do not have anywhere near the same amount of data or visitors as this site does.