TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:03:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,106
  • Total Topics: 21,213
  • Online today: 358
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 99
  • Total: 99

quick question (Athlon 64 related)

Started by gerrymo, January 13, 2006, 04:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerrymo

I am planning to build a new PC. I plan to use twin Athon 64s in it. However, a mate thinks XP wont recogise the 2nd processor. Will they both be recognised and utilised? No point buying the gear if not.

PowerPyx

windows xp will recognize both cores of the cpu... about the util... thats a bit different... windows itself will use both cores but not most of the apps do that. So you have to look on the featurelist of a programm you want to use if its take benefit of the dualcore. If not you can try via taskmanager to bind an app to one of the cores.

PowerPyx.

PS: hope you understand my english ;)

Ray

Quote from: PowerPyx on January 13, 2006, 05:08:02 PM

windows xp will recognize both cores of the cpu... about the util... thats a bit different... windows itself will use both cores but not most of the apps do that. So you have to look on the featurelist of a programm you want to use if its take benefit of the dualcore. If not you can try via taskmanager to bind an app to one of the cores.

PowerPyx.

PS: hope you understand my english ;)

He is right - having 2 CPU and software that only will use one CPU is a wast. 2 CPU are great on a server setup computer running apps like exchange etc. - spend your money on a faster CPU and more memory and a serial hard drive and have a really fast computer

Skhilled

I agree. And not just more memory but faster memory. You might also want to invest in a faster motheboard also. This can make a vast improvement in speed, if you don't aldready have one. nVidia-based boards are very fast unless someone has a better idea.

gerrymo

Thanks guys. I'll look into the costs etc. Havent bought any of it yet execpt the CD drives.