TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:54:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,106
  • Total Topics: 21,213
  • Online today: 358
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 176
  • Total: 176

AJAX for TP ShoutBox

Started by JayBachatero, April 22, 2006, 01:12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Steel

Also would be good for the recent topics block and Side Stats block .. or any blocks that can have new content while the user is looking at a page.. ;) eg: New files .. New Pictures etc..

So why not create a SSI for it so that one can add it into any block

Crip

I think it all sounds good! :)

I have become comfortably numb!

Cripzone | Crip's Free 2.0.2 Themes

bloc

The sql calls to fetch recent topic and stats are very server intensive and really optimised for fullpage rendering, meaning its implicit that they do not get to be started that often. I would NOT recommend just "tacking" AJAX routines on them.

Shoutbox is a simple call in itself so that can work...and things like fetching a username, any pre-defined values etc, yes. Even latest picture from a gallery can work fine.

JayBachatero

I'm with Bloc on this.  There are certain places that using AJAX is good but other places it's just useless.

I haven't been able to work on this at all.  Been too busy with RL.  Hopefully I will have more time to get back on this in June and July.  School is finally over for me in June. :).

Blue Steel

I'm talking about the blocks on the left had site of your web pages.. eg: the Recent Topics and Some Stats and user info blocks....

I'd like to see them being able to be set to auto update say every 5 min or so (definable by the admin) .. not the whole page ..   and not everytine something new is changes (although that woud be nice)

akulion

well if too much ajax was used

wouldnt it cause more server load?

with things auto loading left right and center

everyone going "huh whats happening"

zoom zoomm loading unloading and before we know it....

Below: PictureOur server where our website was housed

am I right?

JayBachatero

Blue steel like akulion said too much AJAX is not good.  Like for the showbox it's good cause you don't have to be reloading to make a shout.  But I don't think someone is going to be sittng down waiting for a new line of recent topics to be updated.  I believe that you read a page of posts in a topic in about 5 mins and then you click next to continue.  When you go to the next page those stats will be updated already.  So you don't really get to see the AJAX or need it.

Blue Steel

the thing that i'm talking about is along these lines ... where you can change / update blocks not the whole page .. without frames  by being triggered by an event etc... wether that be  CLICK.. or time out ... or a flag being tripped eg: someone uploads a new file / pic or posts a new message check this out... here the end user can move the blocks .. open / close them.. and their content changes in some depending on events etc http://projects.backbase.com/RUI/portal.html