TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:35:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,104
  • Total Topics: 21,212
  • Online today: 174
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 167
  • Total: 167

Question regard translation

Started by Costa, June 09, 2022, 03:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Costa

Greetings

I'm translating TP to my native language, mainly because the translation you guys have here is... well, bad.

I'm not familiar with TP, I've a friend that is using it and he doesn't understand english so well and your translation is not helping though.

TPortalAdmin
$txt['tp-maxrating'] = 'Max rating';

What is supose to do? Max rating is what, in detail?

Edit--

Also

$txt['tp-uselangoption2'] = 'NB! The language visibility setting is turned off. Note that the language choices will not work unless its turned on.';

What is NB! ?

Thanks for any input.
Hugo Costa

"At least someone appreciates the fact that I am doing and not thinking..."
"Laziness is counter-revolutionary."

@rjen

Hello Costa, welcome here!

Let me get back to your question in the next reply.

For translations I have created a repository in Crowdin that you can use: https://crowdin.com/project/tinyportal

Can you let me know what language you are translating to?
I can add it there for you, and If you already have files in progress I can upload them there for you as well..

The Crowdin tool is quite useful and pretty easy to work with.
If you create an account there and let me know the name I can give you editor access to the project...

Running Latest TP on SMF2.1 at: www.fjr-club.nl

@rjen

The answers...

QuoteTPortalAdmin
$txt['tp-maxrating'] = 'Max rating';

What is supose to do? Max rating is what, in detail?

Max rating is a setting that you can make when you allow guests to 'rate' articles: they can give a rating (number of point) depending on how 'good'  they find the article: the more points the better..

The max rating sets the maximum number of points that may be assigned...

See: https://www.tinyportal.net/docs/index.php?page=42

QuoteAlso

$txt['tp-uselangoption2'] = 'NB! The language visibility setting is turned off. Note that the language choices will not work unless its turned on.';

What is NB! ?

NB! stands for 'Nota Bene': a Latin phrase (or its abbreviation) used to indicate that special attention should be paid to something. synonyms:N.B., NB

Costa

@rjen

I'm an old fashion guy. I translate the files directly and then upload them here and you can use them as you want. I've no desire to register in another website just to translate. Thank you, anyway.

I'm translating into portuguese_pt. The actual translation has some problems. It's quite confusing at some points. I'm translating from the scratch.

thank you for your help.
Hugo Costa

@rjen

@rjen

Quote from: Costa on June 13, 2022, 08:41:43 AM
I'm translating into portuguese_pt. The actual translation has some problems. It's quite confusing at some points. I'm translating from the scratch.

I am a bit surprised. The PT translation was provided less then a year ago for a pretty recent version (2.1.0).
I would expect that you can use the existing one and just adapt the strings which you feel need to be improved?

Costa

I have the same issues with the SMF translation itself some years ago. It was a headache. At first I started trying to use the existing translation, but then it became more confusing trying to figure out what it was than taking the english version and translating from there.

For me it's faster.

One of the things is to use different translations for the same word in different parts of the text.

For example, translate the word 'membergroup'. In Portuguese it is 'Grupo de Membros', and then you see'Grupo de Utilizadores' or 'Grupo de Usuários' in different parts.

I looked at the translation and it started to be confusing and I decided to do it from scratch.
Hugo Costa

Costa

Hi,

Typo in TPdlmanager.english.php

$txt['tp-dlheader2']

You can create categories here, edit each one with permissions, names and icons and upload files into them. There is also a ftp screen where you can assign pre-uploaded files to aitem or caegory. Submitted files screen can also be found here, it allow you to either approve or reject(delete) them.';
Hugo Costa

@rjen

Thanks, fixed for 2.2.3

$txt['tp-dlheader2'] = 'You can create categories here, edit each one with permissions, names and icons and upload files into them. There is also a ftp screen where you can assign pre-uploaded files to a download item or category. Submitted files screen can also be found here, it allows you to either approve or reject(delete) them.';

Costa

@rjen you're from Netherlands, cool. I've lived there for three years. Loved it.

Anyway, after a great internal struggle over whether to translate the word 'download', I ended up translating it. There is a portuguese translation and it is often used with the english word. Which makes the decision to translate or not a bit of a translator's choice.

The word 'shoutbox' was also not translated. Mainly because the Portuguese word size would break the layout. And 'shooutbox' or 'chat' is perfectly understandable and used afaik.

The word 'Login' has not been translated either. Essentially because it is used. In portuguese sometimes there is a literal translation that sounds really bad.

The translation is not done in a formal and colloquial way. It's a mix of formal and informal, as we did in the SMF translation.

It's in the European variant. And, barring a lapse, according to the new spelling agreement. This agreement was not ratified by Angola and has differences between European and South American Portuguese. It's an agreement that no one can agree up to.  :-X

Feel free to use it however you like.

* Costa thinking about the word 'download'. God Dammit, what a sob word in portuguese.

edit-1
Attachments are awaiting approval

edit-2
uhuuuu finally I can use my avatar
Hugo Costa