TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:08:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,164
  • Total Topics: 21,219
  • Online today: 266
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 91
  • Total: 92
  • @rjen

2 Forums on server, installing TP into one of them

Started by brianl, July 28, 2007, 09:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianl

I have my main forum at public_html/forum and recently mirrored the forum to public_html/forum2 so I could experiment with TP.  The forums are in seperate databases and the SMF directory of the second forum is pointed to forum2. Using SMF 1.1.3, btw.

When I try to install TP the files it shows that will be modified are in the public_html/forum folder, not the forum2 folder where I want them. 

I was assuming/hoping that I could install TP in the forum2 folder and play safe with it, but, not surprisingly, my theory appears to be incorrect.  ;) Anybody have any thoughts on how this could work, or a better way to do this? 

I'm excited to try TP.  Any advice is appreciated.   

Ken.

Search is your friend brianl, this question was raised many times in the past.

To your point, if you are simply trying to setup a second instance of SMF/TP in a separate database on the same server you can do that as long as the name is different for each forum and they are in different folders.

Combining both into one db or folder is not going to work I think.
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
Yesterday When I was Young.

Ken.

A note on your TP part of the install:
If you uploaded TP through the package manager for forum2 then it can only install to that instance of SMF/TP... so the question may need to be which SMF package manager did you use?
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

brianl

Quote from: Ken. on July 28, 2007, 09:21:57 PM
A note on your TP part of the install:
If you uploaded TP through the package manager for forum2 then it can only install to that instance of SMF/TP... so the question may need to be which SMF package manager did you use?

I used the package manager for the backup forum at forum2/  That's why I'm confused as to why the modifications are being listed to files located in forum/  not foum2/

I appreciate your suggestion to search.  A cursory read of the TP documentation didn't shed any light,  but I will keep searching.  Thanks!

Ken.

QuoteI used the package manager for the backup forum at forum2/  That's why I'm confused as to why the modifications are being listed to files located in forum/  not foum2/

OK, if that's how you've proceeded then as noted before TP would install to that copy of SMF.
The fact that it's trying to install to the other forum may mean that the paths in forum2 are wrong, so could you give a little more detail about the two installs:

Go into the server settings on both and check the paths for Forum URL, SMF Directory & Sources Directory to see if those are all correct and that each one points to it's own files and not the files of the other.

Crip

Should use different databases for each forum....that's what I do on my server and now have four TP_sites!!

.less confusing that way..
I have become comfortably numb!

Cripzone | Crip's Free 2.0.2 Themes

brianl

They are in different databases, I'm not sure exactly what the problem was, but it must have had something to do with the junk left over in my database, since when I performed a clean install of SMF files and a clean new database, the files in the correct directory were modified.   

I consider this issue closed and will close the thread so no one else will waste their time.  Thanks for the assistance.

Crip

I have become comfortably numb!

Cripzone | Crip's Free 2.0.2 Themes