TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:12:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,164
  • Total Topics: 21,219
  • Online today: 266
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 180
  • Total: 180

Happy with your forum?

Started by akulion, October 27, 2006, 05:42:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoarinRow

Quote from: christicehurst on October 28, 2006, 08:23:05 AM
Design would be number one for me and how to increase membership. That's all I can think of for now!

Design is a good start, but also organization.  I've been to some truck sites where I can't find things, or the forum software is not user-friendly, so I don't post.

SMF 2.0 RC3
TP 1.0 beta 5-1
Wordpress 3.0

knat

My replies are

1) No im not really happy because most members just come around to get the downloads. I get many new members every day but not many seems to want to post stuff. I have a special download category only for members who have actually posted on my forum. One post and you have access to some bonus stuff. This has helped alot on member activity. It looks to me that once a member has posted his first post it's alot easier to post one more. ;)

2) Yes i am achieving my target right now actually. Because my target was to have some fun creating the site.. and it is my care for the site that will keep it alive. (i read that somewhere lol)
I will be unhappy if my members dont start to become more active so that a community can be shaped. But it is not my target at all - my target is to enjoy what i do and to be satisfied with my work. I just love it when i get some cool code snippet to work. But i have nightmares that i will put my site offline by installing some stupid mod LoL  :idiot2:

These articles helped me think alot about how my site looks.. and i still think alot about it: http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/articles.php?do=morearticles

Edit: Warning: If you click that link you might be spending your evening reading !

RoarinRow

Quote from: knat on October 28, 2006, 09:46:21 PM

These articles helped me think alot about how my site looks.. and i still think alot about it: http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/articles.php?do=morearticles

Edit: Warning: If you click that link you might be spending your evening reading !

Some good article there for sure   :up:

SMF 2.0 RC3
TP 1.0 beta 5-1
Wordpress 3.0

akulion

Thanks knat!! Thats really useful stuff :D

akulion

ok here are a few tips for bigger board which seem to be working for me!!

I got quite a few newbies with 0 post count active on my forums in the past day by some radical changes.

Step 1: Set restrictions!
In my case I restricted all newbies to a post count of 20 after which their state changes. As a newbie they cannot:
- post links in the links dirctory (take away permissions on mod settings)
- post pics in the gallery (take away permissions on mod settings)
- send PMs (enable advanced post count based permissions and then unclick PM sending for newbies!)
- play any games in the arcade ( take away permissions on mod settings)
- add files or do downloads (will implement this soon)

Step 2: Information!
Get and install the PM upon Registration mod by Jaybertho from SMF.

- Put an attractive and detailed intro PM in there. Explaining the restrictions and how to have them lifted.

Additionally get the "Post count warning mod" as well from SMF and install it - so that a big red bar appears at the top telling the member that they need to have 20 posts before restrictions are lifted.

Step 3: Be Active!
Now that you have the above in place, it is likely that newbies will start making intro posts and other posts, so be active to greet them nicely and help them out so that they feel welcomed! And whatever happens dont let your 'forum bullies' or 'people with an attitude' get rude or sarcastic with the newbies!

Thats all really! I implemented these changes yesterday and in one day 4 newbies have become active :D

Reppercutions
There can be 2 occurances:
A) The new members just leave
B) The new members decide to post to have the limits lifted.

For me the choice was simple - I would much rather see an ACTIVE board as opposed to a GHOST TOWN with 5000 members!
So the tradeof is well worth its price!

PS: this strategy is not recommended for smaller or private family/friends board!

To see my restrictions in action go to http://path-to-peace.net/forum
and login as:
username: test
password: test