TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:32:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,158
  • Total Topics: 21,219
  • Online today: 106
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 103
  • Total: 103

Dont Click Here

Started by akulion, November 01, 2006, 10:08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akulion

Did you?
Why?

Don't click here
Click here.

"Click here" is terrible text to use in a link.  Please don't make links that say "click here".

Google Results 1 - 100 of about 2,960,000,000 for click here.

You see, we've already used the phrase "click here" five times on this page: how are you supposed know where the link will take you? People scan web pages for links. Links are styled (with underlining, or color) to stand out from other text. If all the link phrases say "click here", how helpful is that? You might think it helpful to say things like "click here for more details" but this phrase makes no sense on its own.

It's even worse for your reader if they are dependent on screen reader software to read the links aloud to them. They will quickly get fed up with "click here" being intoned over and over again, with no clue as to where the link will take them. Your web page will not meet web accessibility guidelines if you use "click here" as the link phrase. You see how that last link gave you a good idea of where you'd be taken? Link phrases should be specific.

"For quick tips on making your web pages accessible click here"

is not as helpful as saying,

"the Web Accessibility Initiative publish quick tips on making your web pages accessible".

Link phrases should be specific and make sense when read on their own.

So, "don't click here".
Thank you.

keith021773

Very informitive.   And actually, as a new webguy myself, I never even thought about that..  Thanks!

examino

Aku, you are right friend! I have stopped using "click here" in text links since i realized the facts. It is way too constantly used...

eldacar

Maya

Not a big fan of the 'click here' myself, and if there isn't a way to find out where the link leads, I usually don't.

If I can read the url (even if I have to right click the darn thing, and check the proerties), and it is somewhere I recognize, but if not...I won't touch them... :(