TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 07:41:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,158
  • Total Topics: 21,219
  • Online today: 106
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 43
  • Total: 43

Elkarte TinyPortal Testing

Started by tino, January 05, 2021, 01:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tino

Quote from: McFly on March 20, 2022, 11:52:00 AM
I would like to take care of editing the layout and design, or the theme "a bit". Mainly to purify it from legacy. As mentioned above, I have found about 250+ unnecessary <style="..."> in the code now, which can also be tucked away nicely in the CSS. Any ideas on this or better yet guidelines? I think most of it would also benefit the SMF variant.

Other than I would prefer to rip it up and change it all to grid/flex design. I have no preference.

If you look at Elkarte Version 2 ( there is a version of TinyPortal that works on that ) it is moving that way. So we should follow it.

However CSS/HTML is not my forte, so I'll leave it in your hands to decide on the best way and incorporate that.

tino

I decided to rationalise and sort out my repo's.

Master is Elkarte 1.1

Development is Elkarte 2.0

Due to the differences between Elkarte 1.1 and Elkarte 2.0 they can't be the same base code. (Without some a lot of duplicate code so I'm going to split them) The existing master seems to work ok now you have pointed me in the direction of most of the existing bugs @McFly so I am probably going to leave that as is and move to Elkarte 2.0 development. As I am the only one actively using it other than yourself I don't see any harm in that, especially seeming I want the gallery section working for Elkarte 2.0 so I can retire my existing gallery logic in YAPortal.

McFly

Quote from: tino on March 20, 2022, 12:42:37 PM

Other than I would prefer to rip it up and change it all to grid/flex design. I have no preference.

If you look at Elkarte Version 2 ( there is a version of TinyPortal that works on that ) it is moving that way. So we should follow it.

However CSS/HTML is not my forte, so I'll leave it in your hands to decide on the best way and incorporate that.

This makes sense, but also a lot of work. I think the easiest thing to do first will be to get rid of everything obsolete and useless and keep only what is really necessary for the operation and appearance of the portal. Everything that is already covered by the ELK design does not need to be defined again. For a better overview and for separation from the functional, however, a separate posting for this is then also useful.

Even if ELK1 is a SMF2.0 fork, the theme there is also quite far adapted to newer CSS features and quite capable. From ELK2 I have been able to view only the developer version on the site itself. There is no public repository?
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance."

Testsites (may be online or not ;-) )
ElkArte 1.1.x & TP on Apache2.4.48, PHP 8.1.2 FPM/FastCGI, MariaDB 10.5.12

tino

Public repo is here https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte for Elkarte 2 - make sure development is selected.

Happy with either way, stripping it out to essentials then building up from that does make a lot of sense. I took the approach of rip everything up and mostly start again for TinyPortal and Elkarte which is why so much functionality is broken. This isn't always a good thing!

It is so far removed from the original they are largely two different programs now. To the point where I look at the SMF version and get confused things are not where I would expect them to be... Which is largely why I made the decision a while ago to only support that codebase with bug fixes and new PHP versions, and put what little development time I do have free into Elkarte's one. Which in the last few years has been minimal if I am completely honest.

McFly

Thanks for pointing out that ELK 2.0 is hiding behind the development branch on github, which says in the column next to it on the right that the latest release is 1.1.8 ... and I've been thinking all along that the early beta is not yet public.

So I'm right in assuming that your free programming time is more towards TP for ELK2, rather than versions for SMF and ELK1 in general?

Then I will take care of the cleanup for TP for ELK1 for now, sort of as a familiarization. And because there will be fewer changes there that I would still need to include.
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance."

Testsites (may be online or not ;-) )
ElkArte 1.1.x & TP on Apache2.4.48, PHP 8.1.2 FPM/FastCGI, MariaDB 10.5.12

tino

Quote from: McFly on March 22, 2022, 08:31:12 AM
Thanks for pointing out that ELK 2.0 is hiding behind the development branch on github, which says in the column next to it on the right that the latest release is 1.1.8 ... and I've been thinking all along that the early beta is not yet public.

So I'm right in assuming that your free programming time is more towards TP for ELK2, rather than versions for SMF and ELK1 in general?

Then I will take care of the cleanup for TP for ELK1 for now, sort of as a familiarization. And because there will be fewer changes there that I would still need to include.

It's been split between Elkarte 1.1 and Elkarte 2.0, Elkarte 2.0 is a moving target so it keeps breaking.

Currently when I make a change to the 1.1 version it is close enough to the 2.0 version that I can cross merge the commit and don't have to repeat my work. When this becomes too arduous I'll drop one or the other. The 1.1 version does what I need it to do, so being selfish it makes more sense to work on the 2.0 to make it do what I need it to do when Elkarte 2.0 is released. Which is add the missing features which are in the other portal I made YAPortal.

So focus on what you feel is best, I can cross merge from one to the other in most instances.