TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:13:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,104
  • Total Topics: 21,212
  • Online today: 143
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 146
  • Total: 147
  • tino

Responsive question(s)

Started by sturmkatze, May 12, 2020, 07:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sturmkatze

I had some question in response to trying to make my site responsive. I got some help to upgrade things. Here below, is what I have as far as install and mods. I'll attach screen grabs from my phone.

Link to my site: http://www.reenactor.net
SMF version: SMF 2.0.17
TP version: 1.6.6 
Default Forum Language: English
Theme name and version: main one is called "Green the Fourth" I know dumb, but it was the fourth try of modifying something --curve, I think. :P
Browser Name and Version: I am almost exclusively using Firefox -- whatever newest is. It updates itself. But, 76.0.1
Mods installed:

• TinyPortal 1.6.6
  • SMF 2.0.15 Update 1.0
  • Ultimate Profile 0.9.1
  • Google Analytics Code 1.4
  • Links 2.0
  • SMF Gallery Pro 5.0.3a
  • SMF 2.0.16 Update 1.0
  • SMF 2.0.17 Update 1.0
  • Ad Managment 3.1a
  • SMF Staff Page 1.7

Related Error messages: Not an error message. I am trying to figure out where to go to make it mobile and work. I use modified curve themes to show each area as different, with different look, headers and menus, etc.. I saw there was a mod, Responsive Curve -- if I install that, will it work with all my themes or am I in for a lot of reworking?

I was on an smf site (that doesn't use TP) and they had this: (Ant's Mutant Curve) or will it need more editing on top?

You can see the kind of responsive I am looking for, already working, at my other site, Romans in Britain at <www.romanobritain.org>. Yes, I know it's not TP.

What I am getting right now, is show in the attachments. How can i make the screens fill the page, and correspondingly make the images and text the correct size? Or, is there way more to do? For that matter, I'd like to have it set the block that has the menu with a hamburger and the word menu, like I do on the RiB (Romans in Britain) site. And NO, I am not a programmer, my good friend helped me with the hard stuff -- as  am a lesser mortal... I, like a mynah bird, can edit, and do small things, changes, etc. Not program.

lurkalot

Hi sturmkatze, this really comes down to the themes you're using to be honest, if you use a responsive theme then TP should also behave responsively.

Regarding, will the responsive curve mod work on your custom themes, that's something I have no idea about. Though you say they are modified curve themes your customisations to those might well have rendered the mod unusable.  Have you tried it on a test site to see if it works with your themes. 

@rjen

Indeed, not a TinyPortal request.

Asfor ressponsive Curve: I am using that on my site, where I am running a Curve variation. But I did not deviate much from Curve and it installed fine.

I tested Ants Mutant Curve theme a while back, which is a (pretty much) edited Curve variation. Not even sure if that is responsive, but I guess it is. I do not expect responsive curve to work on that.

Since you state you are not a programmer I would recommend to go to the SMF theme site and get a responsive theme that is close to what you like and modify that.

If you really want to do it yourself, you can open the responsive curve package and check the modifications it makes to Curve: that will give you a good place to start making your own changes in your themes. Since they are based on curve it should be relatively simple to find the correct changes for your theme.

Whatever you do: TinyPortal 1.6.6 is responsive as long as your theme is...
Running Latest TP on SMF2.1 at: www.fjr-club.nl

sturmkatze

lurkalot
QuoteHave you tried it on a test site to see if it works with your themes.
Of course not. I don't have enough room on my host for that. And, my wamp server stopped working (I am guessing that Microsoft did something)...

@rjen
Quoteshould I/could I try installing Responsive Curve to the site now? Will it hurt it?

Last-ish, and maybe it needs a diff post, the code button isn't working in the TP console. I HAD ck editor running on the site, but since the update, it's not now.

@rjen

Seriously, how do you expect us to answer that question without knowing any details about you themes  and the changes you made?

You HAVE to create a test site, either on your server or using wamp or Xampp to validate any change you make and keep your forum safe while doing it...
That's what we do and that's the sensible approach...
Running Latest TP on SMF2.1 at: www.fjr-club.nl

sturmkatze

Quote from: @rjen on May 12, 2020, 10:04:51 PM
Seriously, how do you expect us to answer that question without knowing any details about you themes  and the changes you made?
My themes are all simple changes to the curves theme. I found in the past that if I modded something other than the standard one, it made it hard to upgrade. My site is biggish, but not as big as it used to be. SMF/TP is a means to use a CMS to run it as it was getting so hard to do. I also needed the "Link mod" that I paid Dragoon to make back in the day. It's been updated. Anyway, my Roman site that I mention, s different. And it's fully mobile and will prob be sucked into my friend's system so I can have JSON and AMP compliance. I don't even know where to go with this. For that matter, how can I add OG: search tags to each page??? Usually that goes in the header. However, I get ahead of myself.

Quote from: @rjen on May 12, 2020, 10:04:51 PMYou HAVE to create a test site, either on your server or using wamp or Xampp to validate any change you make and keep your forum safe while doing it...
That's what we do and that's the sensible approach...
Anyway, to answer your question, I never have had a backup forum of this site. And no, I am not sensible. But, I try to do what I can. I don't have room now and before, I didn't have WAMP -- which now has crapped out on my computer again. I need that for the Roman site as it's big (500+ big pages) and we have it w/ PHP pages and includes. I've used SMF/TP since about 2007/08... I like it in many ways, but I'm a user, not a programmer and I don't find it fun. When I upgraded to 2.0x I had a dull headache for WEEKS.

Last, i couldn't actually update it myself and paid vbgamer45 to do it for me. It wouldn't allow me to uninstall TP to upgrade and had gotten to where I couldn't even update SMF. I'm sorry to be a non-programmer in this, but I use it to use it -- it's a tool to run the site. In that, in many ways, TP is pretty good. Seems better now, but haven't explored the changes.

lurkalot

Quote from: sturmkatze on May 12, 2020, 07:04:20 PM

I was on an smf site (that doesn't use TP) and they had this: (Ant's Mutant Curve) or will it need more editing on top?

That theme should be responsive without the responsive curve mod, and yes any changes you make to that theme will have to work responsively as well, header etc if you modify it. 

I have a pre release version of that theme running on one of my test sites, https://cctestsite.info/forums/index.php?theme=32  I haven't tried the final version yet though, so not sure how that performs.

sturmkatze

Quote from: lurkalot on May 13, 2020, 08:01:35 AM

That theme should be responsive without the responsive curve mod, and yes any changes you make to that theme will have to work responsively as well, header etc if you modify it. 

I have a pre release version of that theme running on one of my test sites, https://cctestsite.info/forums/index.php?theme=32  I haven't tried the final version yet though, so not sure how that performs.
Are you able to tell it what order to put the blocks when the site goes mobile? Like I said, most of my use of themes is just colour changes, header and page furniture changes. I would like somehow to get away from tables and those background graphic blocks. But one thing at a time.

Is there anything hinky about that theme?

lurkalot

Quote from: sturmkatze on May 13, 2020, 04:17:19 PM
Quote from: lurkalot on May 13, 2020, 08:01:35 AM

Are you able to tell it what order to put the blocks when the site goes mobile? Like I said, most of my use of themes is just colour changes, header and page furniture changes. I would like somehow to get away from tables and those background graphic blocks. But one thing at a time.

Is there anything hinky about that theme?

Don't think you can reorder the stacking of panels or blocks when on mobile, but there might be some trickery that I'm not aware of.   As for the theme itself, I have no idea what the final version is like as I've not had time to install it and try it out. Sorry.