TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:04:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,106
  • Total Topics: 21,213
  • Online today: 358
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 99
  • Total: 99

Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again.

Started by brynn, November 08, 2018, 06:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brynn

Hi Friends,
I was having trouble with this error message in a different forum which uses Simple Portal.  I posted about it in the SMF forum here:  https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=560898.0

Based on what I learned there, it gives me the idea that the reason I'm now seeing in my forum which runs TP, the problem might be with TP - specifically the login block.  I am running TP version 1.5.1, which the last time I looked is the current version (unless there's been a new release in the last couple of months).

I really didn't start seeing this error in this forum until after I upgraded TP.  I saw it once or twice before, but after upgrading, it got to be...well, maybe I would not call it a flood, maybe just a river.  I have about 4 pages of this error over the last month.

Here's all your info:

Link to my forum: https://forum.inkscapecommunity.com/index.php
SMF version: 2.0.15
TP version: 1.5.1
Default Forum Language: English
Theme name and version: Aqua Style 2.0
Browser Name and Version: Sea Monkey, Firefox, IE (can scrounge up version #s if really needed
Mods installed: approx 40, can post a list if needed
Related Error messages: see below

https://forum.inkscapecommunity.com/index.php?action=login2
Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again.

I can't think of any more relevant info, but just ask if you need more.

Is there anything I can do to fix this, besides just disabling that block?

Thank you very much  :)

lurkalot

Brynn.  Thought you'd cured this one some time back. Are you sure it's the TP user block that's causing it?  Does the error go away if you disable that block, like I suggested before.  We haven't had any such problems.

Also I see you have a few themes on there, have you added the login fix to all those themes?  You will need to if they have a login form.

brynn

I thought we fixed it too!

No, I'm not sure it's coming from that block.  I just assumed, based on that other investigation (where we did confirm it by disabling that block).  I didn't think you could get the same error from a different thing.  But I'll try temporarily disabling that block.

When we finished that other topic before, about the non-TP forum, all signs indicated the problem was solved.  I watched it for a week and didn't see the error.  But when I look at it now, I do see that error again.  Not nearly as much as before though.

Regarding the other themes, I thought the login fix was to upgrade the portal mod.  I upgraded both forums.  Wouldn't upgrading the mod fix it for all the themes?

I've just counted 9 people using non-default themes in the TP-using forum.  But we only have maybe 4 or 5 members who visit regularly.  I'd have to do a little research to find out if it's those members hitting this error.

Regarding disabling the login block - my default theme has another login block in the top-right corner of the page.  I don't think that can be disabled.  Is there any other way to know where the error is coming from?

Thanks again.

tino

Is that a custom block or part of the standard tp blocks? I can't remember seeing it... if it's custom can you post the contents here in code tags please.

Also can you confirm if you're running Arantors login fix mod.

lurkalot

The login from the Tinyportal User block was fixed when SMF 2.0.14 came out. That caused a problem when you had that block showing regardless of fixing the theme.  SP had the same problem, and you experienced that on you other site. Turning off that block should stop the error completely for diagnosis. If you turn it off and still get the error then it's coming from somewhere else.

So basically SMF 2.0.14+ now requires the a session check in the <form> for the login function, be it a custom theme or mod which has a login form will need the session check added to it.

As far as I'm aware Arantors login fix mod should have that covered if you have it installed on both sites. Maybe it doesn't cover every scenario, I'm not sure. 

Still a good idea to go through any themes served to your members to make sure the session check is in place.

Pretty sure that if it was coming from the portal we'd know about it by now, and it would show up when any of us test it, or use it.  As you know I'm a member on your site, I've logged in and out on your site yesterday using this block and no errors at all.

lurkalot

tino, the login fix for the user block was added here, by myself in Jun 19, 2017

https://github.com/Tinyportal/TinyPortal/commit/fde9a7f67fcdb06b93642f3a00dbb392fe1e2b9e#diff-801457335636df0145ee7b9e716d41c0

As far as I'm aware it hasn't caused any issues since. Or at least no one else has reported any login issues.

@rjen

as far as I can see it: the Tinyportal login block is working or not. It cannot be working 'most of the time', so I would look into other potential causes..
Running Latest TP on SMF2.1 at: www.fjr-club.nl

tino

Are you sure its not just someone has bookmarked that url?

If I click it, then I get the error as expected.

What are the IP's associated with the error log entry?

lurkalot

Quote from: @rjen on November 11, 2018, 11:50:47 AM
as far as I can see it: the Tinyportal login block is working or not. It cannot be working 'most of the time', so I would look into other potential causes..

I agree, it's there or it's not.  Intermittent problem, seems more like some random server issue to me. Especially as the issue is still on Brynn's other site which runs SP.

Quote from: tino on November 11, 2018, 12:08:26 PM
Are you sure its not just someone has bookmarked that url?

If I click it, then I get the error as expected.

What are the IP's associated with the error log entry?

Wondering about that myself.  Brynn has posted that link in post here and over at SMF so people will click it.  I get the error as well if I'm not logged in over there and click it.

Just like on Brynn's other site, same thing.

brynn

Wow, thanks for all the discussion.  I can't follow all of it, but I think I got most of it.

I don't think I have ever installed Arantor's login fix mod.  Maybe I misunderstood from the old SMF topic, but I thought upgrading would fix it, and I wouldn't need the mod fix.  Do I need both the current portal mod version and the login fix mod?

Oh, I have Arantor's CAPTCHA mod!  But no, I don't see anything like a login fix mod in Package Manager.

I guess I'm still unclear about themes.  If I'm running the current portal version, do I still need to do somthing about the themes?

I guess I could search the member list for those IPs.  Then if they are members, I can find out which theme they're using.  Right?  I can find out what theme they're using by looking at their profile settings, right?

Is the current question, who is hitting the error, and are they just clicking where I posted the error message in the old topic?

Let's see....

Except for lurkalot, everyone who hits that error is a Guest.  I have no way of knowing if they are a member who is legitimately trying to log in.

I saw one IP that hit it something like 15 to 20 times (different days, over a week or 2, but when it's on the same day, a minute or few seconds apart - that one seems sadly like someone who wants desperately to log in).  Most IPs are just hitting it 1 to 4 times.

Do you want me to actually list some of the IPs?

If I pay very, very close attention, I might be able to catch an error happen, and use my analytics to see where they came from.  Oooh, my analytics....  I don't see any evidence of people coming into my site from SMF.  Although not everyone allows themselves to be tracked.  Apparently lurkalot does not  ;D

Ok I'm going to disable that block now.  I'll watch the error log and see what happens.

Thanks for your comments and attention  :)