TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:30:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,104
  • Total Topics: 21,212
  • Online today: 174
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 167
  • Total: 167

[Survey Discussion] Article Category Icons & Features

Started by Ken., November 06, 2015, 06:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken.

Dear Members:

In the "Article Category Icons & Features Survey Topic" we asked you to let us know what you like about TinyPortal Articles Categories and how you use them.
We hope that you filled out the survey questions and would love to hear any other comments or questions you have on the TP articles categories.

I'll go ahead and start with my favorite part about the TP articles categories:
If you use very many TP articles you'll find after a while that things can become rather cluttered in your TP articles admin screen. Your article category system will solve that issue by giving you the ability create as many categories as needed to sort your articles into neat groups.

Now it's your turn, so post away.  O0
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
Yesterday When I was Young.

Skhilled

I agree. I'm a very organized person with a lot of articles on my sites. Category grouping helps me a lot with my site and the many other sites I help.

Ken.

Another part that I like is the Article Categories control panel, it's clean, simple and gives you a great jumping off place to find and edit an Article, or start a new one.  O0

" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

illori

one thing i think is missing is a clear edit option on that page. not everyone knows or can easily find how to edit the categories listed on the page.

Ken.

Looking at this and you are right. The 'spy glass' icon is generally understood to be an edit symbol, but a novice user might not be able to readily understand how to navigate here.

bloc

The editing is done by clicking the name, I think? Unless I forgotten lol..but yeah, those were created a lot of years ago, almsot one of the first things I did in TP. It should been improved since, but wasn't.

Skhilled

Quote from: Ken. on November 10, 2015, 12:45:52 AM
Another part that I like is the Article Categories control panel, it's clean, simple and gives you a great jumping off place to find and edit an Article, or start a new one.  O0

This just made me realize that the magnifying glass icon does not have a tool tip saying "Preview" like the other 3. And, yes, editing is done by clicking on the cat name.

Ken.

Tool tips are one of the elements that we need to more fully develop as we work on improving TP.

illori

Skhilled

bloc

But remember that auto-popups are a no-go on touch devices..something to actually press is preferable.

Skhilled

I think there needs to be better core coding for sites for things like this that works on both platforms. Works on one but is disabled on the other, if needed. Technology is not at that point just yet. hopefully soon. :)

Ken.

illori

given feedback received it seems that different layouts and the option to use an icon is wanted. the option to use an "icon" has been removed, the option to upload an illustrative icon has been left and renamed to "Icons". the layouts that were existing have been tweaked to use the icons that are left. this has been changed in the version of TP for SMF 2.1, not for SMF 2.0.

illori

Quote from: Skhilled on November 11, 2015, 02:39:32 PM
This just made me realize that the magnifying glass icon does not have a tool tip saying "Preview" like the other 3. And, yes, editing is done by clicking on the cat name.

tooltip added and an icon for editing as well in TP for SMF 2.1.

Ken.

Quote from: illori on December 02, 2015, 11:18:11 AM
Quote from: Skhilled on November 11, 2015, 02:39:32 PM

tooltip added and an icon for editing as well in TP for SMF 2.1.
O0

Skhilled