TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:40:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,104
  • Total Topics: 21,212
  • Online today: 175
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 174
  • Total: 174

Layout type "just links" doesn't work in Category View

Started by Maxxim, June 02, 2020, 05:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxxim

SMF 2.0.17, TP 1.6.6
Installed mods:
Pretty URLs
Quick Spoiler

I've set up an article category on my forum (currently on localhost only) which is to contain several lengthy FAQs. For better readability, I'm trying to display articles in that category as links, but ironically the "just links" layout type is the only one that refuses to work, instead displaying my FAQs as "normal articles".

I've found a similar support request from 11 years ago (sadly, still unanswered).

@rjen

Perhaps you can explain in detail, what 'refuses' to work for you?

I suspect that the just links layout does not do what you expect it to to, but it does work. In fact the name does not quite explain what it does. The 'just links' alyout is in fact more a 'minimal' layout.

Check out this example, here it is used: https://www.tinyportal.net/docs/index.php?cat=Changelog

But I agree, it is not the most useful layout option...

Personally I like this layout option for a category that you describe:
https://www.tinyportal.net/docs/index.php?cat=Articles

This is the 'Normal+Links' layout: you use one article as the intro / header and all other articles are just links...
Running Latest TP on SMF2.1 at: www.fjr-club.nl

Maxxim

My apologies for the late reply, @rjen!

QuotePerhaps you can explain in detail, what 'refuses' to work for you?
As I initially wrote, "just links" behaves as if it were "normal articles". I can see no difference between the two options.

QuoteCheck out this example, here it is used
That's exactly the result I'm trying (and failing) to achieve! :)
I want a category that contains only links to FAQ articles, and not much more.

QuoteThis is the 'Normal+Links' layout: you use one article as the intro / header and all other articles are just links.
That can be a nice workaround, sure, but aren't you curious why the "just links" layout doesn't work as intended? ;) It's not like I have a ton of modifications or anything. Maybe something is broken and nobody has noticed it so far because the layout is unpopular?..

@rjen

Quote from: Maxxim on June 18, 2020, 10:04:14 AM
My apologies for the late reply, @rjen!

QuoteThis is the 'Normal+Links' layout: you use one article as the intro / header and all other articles are just links.
That can be a nice workaround, sure, but aren't you curious why the "just links" layout doesn't work as intended? ;) It's not like I have a ton of modifications or anything. Maybe something is broken and nobody has noticed it so far because the layout is unpopular?..

I know why it is not working as intended: the label for th layout is simply not representing the layout that it gives. Thing is that it has been like this from before I even got involved. So I do not know if this is on purpose.
If we change the layout to match the description existing tinyportal users may suffer... if I change the name of the layout you still do not have what you want...

Maxxim

Quotethe label for th layout is simply not representing the layout that it gives
Ah, so this means there is in fact no "just links" layout, only a duplicate "normal articles"? Isn't that a (UI) problem worth looking into? ;)

Quoteif I change the name of the layout you still do not have what you want...
Getting what I want is just one part of the reason why I post here.
Another part (which is no less important) is trying to help you improve TinyPortal in the small way I can. :)

@rjen

Just been doing some work on TP200 with a new layout: just links...

Existing layout remains available, but renamed to 'Simple articles'. The 'just links' layout added new...
See attachment for updated admin page...

Is this what you are looking for?
https://test2.fjr-club.nl/index.php?cat=78