TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:29:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,164
  • Total Topics: 21,219
  • Online today: 266
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 99
  • Total: 99

Custom Error Pages!

Started by Zetan, April 07, 2007, 05:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crip

I have become comfortably numb!

Cripzone | Crip's Free 2.0.2 Themes

keith021773

I have tried to make one..   But no luck.    My old host offered a service in cpanel where you could make them.   I have since moved to a new better host but they don't offer this..   

I'm gonna need a "newbie How-To" to get one for me.   LOL

Zetan

Hi, I've just had a quick googla and found this:
http://www.thesitewizard.com/archive/custom404.shtml

QuoteRequirements for Customizing the 404 File Not Found Page

It is not possible to customize your 404 error page if your web host has not enabled this
facility for your website. For example, at the time of this writing, if you host at
Geocities or Tripod, you would not be able to customize your 404 Error Page.

If your web host has this facility, you will usually find mention of this somewhere in
their documentation. In fact, if they mention somewhere that you can customize
a file named ".htaccess", it probably means that you can also customize your
404 File Not Found error page.

The link above explains more.

Crip

Here is a little tut do-it-yourself 404 page -
- if you follow these simple steps you too can have your own custom 404 error page!!

Zetan

crip~, does the example you posted work if the host has not enabled users to edit their error page?
On the site I found, they say it's not possible... I'm interested to see if there is a way to do it.

Crip

Yes it works via your .htaccess file -- delete the custom 404 page your host provided you and make your own!

Crip

I'll make one up and show you it works.

Zetan

Nice one..  :up:

I've just read the page I linked, it mentions it near the bottom  :uglystupid2:

brianjw

Thurnok

Quote from: Zetan on April 17, 2007, 04:13:08 PM
crip~, does the example you posted work if the host has not enabled users to edit their error page?
On the site I found, they say it's not possible... I'm interested to see if there is a way to do it.

If your host tells you that you cannot do it, it is most likely because they do not set AllowOverride for FileInfo or they might even have AllowOverride set to None.

AllowOverride is a directive that is set in the httpd.conf file and determines what (if any) settings can be overridden (modified) by the .htaccess file.  If AllowOverride FileInfo is not set, then you cannot set ErrorDocument among other file functions in the .htaccess file.  If AllowOverride is set to None, the .htaccess file has no effect whatsoever for anything, in fact it is not even read by the HTTP Daemon during GET/POST requests at all in this case.

So in answer to your question Zetan, your Host provider can indeed prevent you from using your own Error documents.