TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:30:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,165
  • Total Topics: 21,219
  • Online today: 118
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 105
  • Total: 105

"New" button works differently in the Recent block and the BoardIndex

Started by ZarPrime, February 05, 2015, 04:41:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurkalot

Quote from: bloc on February 06, 2015, 06:26:39 AM
That said..recent topics is a personal thing, so historically it would perhaps confuse if the short subject goes to the first post, while a "last post" image does what it does now. Like I said, would almost be better if a small symbol made you go to first, while subject link stay as it is..

Does my head in just reading this stuff. lol...  :D

Personally, I think the recent block should treat it the same as SMF, just to save confusing people.

Clicking the topic title will take you to the first post in that topic.  And clicking the "New" image will take you to the first unread post in that topic.

bloc

Hehe..but thats the thing, it DOES show exactly like recent posts does. Check SMF site and see every link in recent posts area, they all have topicseen in them.

BUT, if you look at boardindex itself it does what you describe. In other words, if we change it to that, it will be different from what SMF does usually.

I can try once more, to explain that if you use "topicseen" keyword, this happens:

1) brand new topic, never visited before: first page, first post

2) old topic you visited before, no new posts: last page, last reply

3) old topic you visited before- but has new posts: YOUR last visited PAGE and wherever actual unread posts may come on that page.

4) guests: first page, first post

Ken.

Quote from: bloc on February 06, 2015, 11:13:37 AM
Hehe..but thats the thing, it DOES show exactly like recent posts does. Check SMF site and see every link in recent posts area, they all have topicseen in them.

BUT, if you look at boardindex itself it does what you describe. In other words, if we change it to that, it will be different from what SMF does usually.

I can try once more, to explain that if you use "topicseen" keyword, this happens:

1) brand new topic, never visited before: first page, first post

2) old topic you visited before, no new posts: last page, last reply

3) old topic you visited before- but has new posts: YOUR last visited PAGE and wherever actual unread posts may come on that page.

4) guests: first page, first post

This is my preferred setup for the way the links should work. ^-^
I always use the TP Recent block for post/topic navigation unless the site in question is not using it, or there more unread topics than can be shown in the block. And, the New button is rarely used except as an indicator that there are in fact new posts in a topic.
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
Yesterday When I was Young.

bloc

Exactly.

But theres nothing standing in the way of adding a "first post" link too - in case the topic is so old that you like to re-read the original first post. I can see that scenario being useful. It should perhasp not be the subject then, but rather a small symbol - like the "last post" icon.

ZarPrime

Quote from: bloc on February 06, 2015, 01:00:02 PM
Exactly.

But theres nothing standing in the way of adding a "first post" link too - in case the topic is so old that you like to re-read the original first post. I can see that scenario being useful. It should perhasp not be the subject then, but rather a small symbol - like the "last post" icon.

This is getting really confusing to me now. :uglystupid2: If we didn't have a recent block and you had to look at the boardindex to navigate, clicking the short subject of this topic takes you to http://www.tinyportal.net/index.php?topic=35400.0 and there is no topicseen in the URL, so you are taken to the first post on the first page of the topic. Isn't that the same thing as saying what you are saying above, adding a first post symbol?

ZarPrime

It's really hard to test this on a forum that isn't particularly busy. I think I am going to have to think about this some more. :o

bloc

Quote from: ZarPrime on February 06, 2015, 01:38:26 PM
Quote from: bloc on February 06, 2015, 01:00:02 PM
Exactly.

This is getting really confusing to me now. :uglystupid2: If we didn't have a recent block and you had to look at the boardindex to navigate, clicking the short subject of this topic takes you to http://www.tinyportal.net/index.php?topic=35400.0 and there is no topicseen in the URL, so you are taken to the first post on the first page of the topic. Isn't that the same thing as saying what you are saying above, adding a first post symbol?
Yes..but recent posts inside info-center and the normal board links in the boardindex above do not behave the same - they serve different purposes. The normal boardindex have a "new posts" in the form of the unread icon to the left of each board name, but its primary a place to just get into any board.

The recent topics however, lists JUST the latest posts/topics and sort them for you, not the same as just listing the boards.

So if we change recent topics block(which is the same as recent posts, just sorted on topics instead of single posts) to what boardindex does, it will be different than what SMF normally does with "latest posts" anywhere.

:) It may seem confusing..but not when you see the logic behind.

ZarPrime

See, now there is something else I never thought about, recent posts in the info-center, mainly because we don't even use them here. That was something I never even tested. At the time, when I went through all that testing, I was simply tring to figure out a way to make the recent block work like the boardindex. I never even thought about the recent posts in the info-center.

Ken.

... just now turned on that feature for the FamilyForum Info Center to see how it works, like you it never crossed my mind.
EDIT: only shows for admins? My test member (Jake) can only see the recent posts in the info center when his status is that of an admin, at any lesser access level it is not showing.

Quote from: ZarPrime on February 06, 2015, 02:19:57 PM
See, now there is something else I never thought about, recent posts in the info-center, mainly because we don't even use them here. That was something I never even tested. At the time, when I went through all that testing, I was simply tring to figure out a way to make the recent block work like the boardindex. I never even thought about the recent posts in the info-center.
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Ken.

Quote from: Ken. on February 06, 2015, 03:39:01 PM
... just now turned on that feature for the FamilyForum Info Center to see how it works, like you it never crossed my mind.
EDIT: only shows for admins? My test member (Jake) can only see the recent posts in the info center when his status is that of an admin, at any lesser access level it is not showing.

err... NM.
There was a malfunction behind my keyboard.  :-[