TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:22:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,106
  • Total Topics: 21,213
  • Online today: 358
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 90
  • Total: 90

Linux

Started by Ray, March 09, 2007, 05:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray

Sorry I have not posted much in here but I have been heavy learning Linux. What a change but I am starting to get the hang of it. Here is my test site that I have been working with. http://www2.rranderson.com:8000
sorry about the 8000 part but have to use it. I host the server myself so my router has a problem knowing what server to go to so I use that port.

IchBin

Linux rocks... I really wish it was more user friendly like windows. If it had more app support I'd definitely be using it as my main desktop.

G6Cad

Greate job done there Ray :)

Ray

TWD

What kind of connection to the outside world do you have?  I'd love to host my own site but I don't know what kind of upstream speed I need.

Ray

Quote from: TWD on March 09, 2007, 07:06:22 PM
What kind of connection to the outside world do you have?  I'd love to host my own site but I don't know what kind of upstream speed I need.
DSL 1.5 mg download and 512 upload. Not real good but it works. Also I have several others sites on this same DSL

Ray

Quote from: IchBinÃ,â,,¢ on March 09, 2007, 06:12:37 AM
Linux rocks... I really wish it was more user friendly like windows. If it had more app support I'd definitely be using it as my main desktop.
I am using SUSE and it has over 2000 apps that can be used, LOL just learning to install them is the fun. SUSE has and installer for programs that works ok

TWD

Quote from: Ray on March 09, 2007, 07:09:45 PM
Quote from: TWD on March 09, 2007, 07:06:22 PM
DSL 1.5 mg download and 512 upload. Not real good but it works. Also I have several others sites on this same DSL

Very cool.  I've got twice that, but I had problems trying to host at home earlier this year (experimenting).  Possibly because I was running a Windows box?

Mind if I PM you about your setup?  If I can dump my host now that I'm on Linux, I'd be real happy.

G6Cad

I think it would be better to post the steps here so more people can read how to make atleast the basic steps.  ;)

Ray

Here is a step by step to install SUSE. Without this I would still be in the dark. http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_opensuse_10.2 This has to be one of the best instruction to setting up an isp. Only thing I did not do was install the ISPConfig. I didn't like the way it took over SUSE and I wanted to learn that part myself. I also have a windows 2003 server running on this doman. All with one static IP. Not the best but hey It works.

And G6 is right -- no PM here, we can just talk about it here so others can learn and help :up: