TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:59:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,104
  • Total Topics: 21,212
  • Online today: 143
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 88
  • Total: 88

What Will You Not Add?

Started by anunlike, December 27, 2005, 02:48:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anunlike

I'm wondering if there are things that you, Bloc, won't build in to TP? There are always lists about future plans and what features will be added, but it'd be beneficial to see if there's anything specific that you don't want to have built in ...

Thanks.

bloc

Well, I can't think of anything just now, but I am sure I have turned down a few requests. But..what I do want in are these "modules" (this is repeated elsewhere too):

- download manager
- arcade section
- gallery
- banner manager

Things I like to add..but not 100% sure about are these:

- links manager
- member managment
- shop section(simplified and tied to the download section)

"member managment" is something I been thinking about a while, and it will tie together some things..like allowing members to jump in and out of groups, and transfer many members from one group to another. That sort of thing. It will also include a TP extended profile.

The shop part is something still in its infancy, and only Paypal for now - but can be handy for both sales of downloadable stuff, and even access levels on parts of the site - or rather tied to membergroups that do have access.

But more on this later on. What I do aim for is simplicty in all things. Quick and effective, the portal should not some big ferry slowing down the excellent speedboat that SMF is. :)

...are there specific things you are wondering about? It migh be easier for me to answer upon those rather.

anunlike

Well, yeah, there are some, but my question was more a general one. It's just that when I go to the SMF mod site, I just can't help but think about what might have a chance of getting into TP and what might not.

One thing I'd really like is some sort of static page thing. I don't know if this can be done or not already, but I've been using the Static Page Mod for SMF and I've never been able to get it to work correctly. So, that's something I've always been curious about. I have searched here for how to do it, but I'm not that knowledgeable yet. I think it'd be something that would be really good to build in.

gerrymo

Quote from: anunlike on December 28, 2005, 05:30:05 PM
Well, yeah, there are some, but my question was more a general one. It's just that when I go to the SMF mod site, I just can't help but think about what might have a chance of getting into TP and what might not.

One thing I'd really like is some sort of static page thing. I don't know if this can be done or not already, but I've been using the Static Page Mod for SMF and I've never been able to get it to work correctly. So, that's something I've always been curious about. I have searched here for how to do it, but I'm not that knowledgeable yet. I think it'd be something that would be really good to build in.

Do a serach Nokonium [I think] posted a way toremove the commets, date, etc from articles, thus creating what is in effect, static pages. Got it in use on one of my sites, and works like charm

anunlike

Quote from: Bloc on December 28, 2005, 04:06:09 PMBut more on this later on. What I do aim for is simplicty in all things. Quick and effective, the portal should not some big ferry slowing down the excellent speedboat that SMF is. :)
Yeah, couldn't agree more, that's why I think it'd be cool to see a list of things that you wouldn't want in, for whatever reasons.

Yeah, great! Sorry I didn't get that post in my search. But I'd also suggest that you have the date for the last update also be shown, on top of the creation date or at least the option to do so. :)

I can't wait for everything to get done!

eldacar

Bloc, before you get too involved in your "member management" idea, it sounds very similar to a few things I have planned for my Groups mod. You're probably the much better programmer, so if you were interested you could take over.

Xarcell

Member management would be great, but sounds like a headache. I think this is something that SMF should have as standard...

Exactly what would be the function of a "arcade section"?

Nokonium

Quote from: Xarcell on December 29, 2005, 03:33:31 PM
Exactly what would be the function of a "arcade section"?

To enable the playing of flash games by registered members. SMF has an Arcade Mod, but it is pretty buggy.

bloc

"member management" will likely be kind of like your mod, eldacar..but don't ditch that! It will likely be people who want it, but not TP in the bargain.

Xarcell, a arcade section is simply a games section, like the games mod. I am not sure how much will go into it, but as all modules it can be turned off. Also, no module code/template is loaded during normal actions, just when that module is called. It will act like another page in SMF so to speak, like search page, calendar etc. Blocks will be able to "tap into" these modules though, with specific functions you can choose under the "module" type in blocks.