TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:19:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,104
  • Total Topics: 21,212
  • Online today: 151
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 144
  • Total: 145
  • tino

about latest portal 1.06 beta

Started by DarkAngel612, October 15, 2008, 05:00:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkAngel612

I installed it and it works beautifully...I won the fight cause it did not want to install...lol

I have a question, does Tiny Portal try to install something called UDEV. My server went down and the host said that it was probably the latest installation I did...which was the portal.

It does not play nice this udev with linux and they had to go in and overwrite several files udev installation changed that killed my site for a few hours.

If TP doesn't install this does anyone have an idea what could have installed it, for I am at a loss.

G6Cad

Cant say if that is inside of tp, never even heard of it before.
But after som googling around, it seems to be a part of what Linux Kernel needs to manage things on the server.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Udev

If the server went down, it seems ( according to the text from the link posted ) that it needs to be upgraded from older software to new.

DarkAngel612

thanks hun, i did some googling too and can't figure out what installed--or rather what tried to install it.

my host said that they had to replace the files it overwrote and that was why the site went down, becasue the server is linux and the udev is not made for our server.

oh well, I really did not think it was the portal updater cause I installed in on another server in my test forum and it did not go down.

I just think somehow if the system did not try to do an automatic update then maybe somehow someone is getting into my server.

IchBin

udev is a linux operating system package that allows users to have some what of a dynamic dev directory where devices are stored. If you're host is blaming you for this, tell them to get a clue. TinyPortal has nothing to do with it.

DarkAngel612

ty to both of you, I really did not thin so becasue it never has done this and like I said my test forum is fine too...but just had to ask so I could scream at them for it.