TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:24:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,104
  • Total Topics: 21,212
  • Online today: 171
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 173
  • Total: 174
  • tino

Can and cannot install TP with package manager

Started by chriscorreia, March 18, 2007, 03:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chriscorreia

Quote from: G6â„¢ on March 19, 2007, 06:32:34 PM

@ chriscorreia   Your site is updated and ready to go.

I see that. It is fantastic. I am very humbly grateful. Thank you. Care to share the problem for others to learn?

G6Cad

I really dont know if there were a problem, i always install every thing manually, and i did it on your site to.
Upgraded to SMF 1.1.2 manually, ran the upgrade.php file, then uploaded the manual t package and ran the manual_tp_install.php refreshed, removed the upgrade and tp install files and it was all set.

chriscorreia

That was too easy.

Of course, I screwed up when I tried the manual install, so I guess not too easy for some of us. LOL

G6Cad

I took some time to learn how to, i think i have crashed a LOT of forums, but i wont tell how many cause you would not have let me in to your files if i told you  :2funny:

I learnd a lot from IchBin (still do) but one thing he said was (create a testsite) I did, i crashed, redid the site, crashed, and im still using testsites to learn things, try out mods, and as it's a test, i dare to try more things and learn what NOT to do on my live site, or your site where i help out on :)

Also it's a good way to learn how the code look like, now i can see in the code if there are things that shuld not be in there (most of the times)  :D

But to pass on a great advise, create a testsite, crash it 200 times, and after a while you will know what you can do and what not  :)

wjhsmf

Hi,

If you do chmod -R 777 to your smf directory, you will surely get installation easily through package manager.

This tells me that their must be a set of files need chmod 777. What chmod -R 777 does is way over what need. Can you give a list of files , minimum?
Thank you.

Jimmy
Quote from: Porky on March 18, 2007, 09:34:25 PM
yeah I let them know to delete the database files so we can see if that is it, as soon as they get back with me I will try again

Porky

wow I did everything except star from scratch. Thanks G6 for your help

wjhsmf

G6,

I did mine through chmod -R 777 and I am not very happy with it. If I know a way to chmod back, I can still live with it. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Jimmy
Quote from: G6Ã,â,,¢ on March 19, 2007, 07:51:22 PM
I took some time to learn how to, i think i have crashed a LOT of forums, but i wont tell how many cause you would not have let me in to your files if i told you  :2funny:

I learnd a lot from IchBin (still do) but one thing he said was (create a testsite) I did, i crashed, redid the site, crashed, and im still using testsites to learn things, try out mods, and as it's a test, i dare to try more things and learn what NOT to do on my live site, or your site where i help out on :)

Also it's a good way to learn how the code look like, now i can see in the code if there are things that shuld not be in there (most of the times)  :D

But to pass on a great advise, create a testsite, crash it 200 times, and after a while you will know what you can do and what not  :)

G6Cad

If you do things the manuall way, you dont have to bother with file permissions, only owner issues will stop you from installing that way.

The best answer i can give you is to set all files to 777 if you want to use the package manager.

Admin/Packages/Options/
Fill in the FTP account and check the box for "all files writable" and try the manager again.
If that's not helping you, you will have to make it the manaul way.

Also, please start a new topic from this post on.
It's very hard to keep track of the posts if the threads just going on and on with diffrent members asking for support in the same.
So from now on here, please start your own topic and we will provide help as soon as we can.

IchBin

chmod -R 755 * (only do this while in your forum directory in the command line) You can use whatever number you need to on your files for permissiosn.