TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:18:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,104
  • Total Topics: 21,212
  • Online today: 212
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 72
  • Total: 72

Advice required for upgrading an old SMF/TP Beta installation

Started by ~Wibble~, May 17, 2008, 03:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

~Wibble~

Hi guys,

I am tasked with updating a site that is using an early install of SMF 1.1 RC2 and TP v0.8.6.  The site is active with over 15000 posts and 200+ articles and all have to remain intact.  This site is also currently bridged with a Coppermine gallery, the bridge itself is intended to be lost.  Aside from that there are no other mods installed.

I'm looking for some advice on the simplest way to upgrade both elements of software.
My plan at this point would be as follows:

Backup SQL database (v5) and all files.
Switch to a standard SMF theme.
Uninstall TP
Upgrade SMF using the latest SMF upgrade package (SMF_1-1-4_upgrade.zip)
Update to SMF 1.1.5
Install TP v1.0.5Beta

I notice that there is no TP 'upgrade' (rather than update) package so can I assume that simply installing TP v1.0.5 would be ok?

If I were to carry that out, would there be an issue with installing TP given that the tables already exist within the database?

Any other predictions on problems I might encounter would be well received as the consquences of my screwing this up would likely mean me speaking in a voice with a much higher pitch! :D

Thanks very much.

G6Cad

Well, first off you need to start with the updates of SMF, from 1.1rc2 i think you have to go through several upgrades to reach the 1.1.5 version.
So browse to SMF and read and get support for upgrading that psrt first as it's the very base of the rest of your content and then you come here for support on how to upgrade TP

Dragooon

Just follow the Large upgrade method and overwriting the files will automatically uninstall every mods and it'll directory upgrade your SMF to SMF 1.1.5. Then you install TP 1.0.5 and the installer takes care of upgrading.

~Wibble~

ok, thanks for your input.
I decided to try err on the side of caution and try this out on a duplicate test site.  I carried out the following:

Switched the theme to Default

Uploaded the large upgrade package for SMF (SMF_1-1-4_upgrade.zip) and ran upgrade.php
The update was successful (after a minor change to the upgrade_1-1.sql file to accomodate my hosts version of SQL).
Updated to SMF 1.1.5 successfully. All boards, groups, forums members, posts etc were intact.

I am happy that SMF is working fine.
Using the SMF package installation I uploaded TPv1.0.5Beta1.zip.  All tests prior to installation were successful.

I applied the mod and this completed with a report detailing all table upgrades and changes etc. in a formatted fashion displayed above the SMF Admin page.  However there wasn't a TP control panel block visible amongst the usual SMF blocks on the left.

My first action was to click on the 'home' button which produced a blank page except for the following error:

Quote8: Undefined index: leftpanel
File: /mounted-storage/home18c/sub001/sc20071-RQSC/*mydomainnamehere*/forum2/Sources/TPortal.php
Line: 801

(domainname edited)

Line 801 of TPortal.php reads:
if($context['TPortal']['leftpanel']>1)

I have searched for "8: Undefined index: leftpanel" in the the forums but can find no reference to that error.
There are several that relate to "8: undefined index" but all seem to be for other mods.

Whilst I'm capable of dealing with basic issues, php isn't my strong point.  :-\
Would you guys have any ideas about where I should look next to solve this one?

G6Cad

You have to go through and check the smf files manually and make sure the TP code got added correctly.
You have the mod instructions in our docsection, the code are listed and also to what file it needs to be added, so check so the manager did add the code, and that it is correct.

Offcourse all of this to the default core theme

~Wibble~

I see the "Modinstructions for SMF 1.1.4 and TP V1.0.5 ", would they be the same for SMF 1.1.5?

~Wibble~

ok I have checked all of the following files on the server and the text listed in the Modinstructions is all present and correct:

Admin.php
BoardIndex.php
Errors.php
Help.template.php
index.php
index.template.php
Load.php
ManagePermissions.php
Profile.php
QueryString.php
Security.php
SSI.php
style.css
Subs-Post.php
Subs.php
index.template.php (babylon).

Would you know if there anything else I should check before I do a complete manual re-installation of TP?

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys.

G6Cad

Yes, make sure that non of the old TP code are left in the files.
You have the modinstructions for TP V098 in the docs to.