TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:49:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,173
  • Total Topics: 21,219
  • Online today: 319
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online

what do you website builders do?

Started by rbh, October 12, 2006, 03:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbh

i browsed my forum today from an old computer and realized it has been tweaked, designed, set to function and look correct when running at resolution 1024x768 of my commonly used pcs. well, this older pc which i rarely use except for a file server has a resolution of 800x600 and the site is HUGE requiring using scroll bars to see the whole thing. should i have built the site for 800x600 or is there something that can be done to detect the screen resolution of the surfer and adjust things to be viewed correctly? i think most people run at the higher resolutions nowadays but i would like to have a user friendly site for all. any suggestions?

akulion

the only thing i was able to do was only use the left side bar and center bar

that way when people with smaller screen sizes come in the center bar gets squashed to fit

but headers are always an issue since they are fixed sizes

so best to use a small banner suitable for 800 size and then do a repeating background to fill in the rest of the space

If you use only HTML pages like I have on my entrance to my page then there i have a screen size detection script on it to display properly

the one I use is below in a html file which the user initially visits and gets diverted accordingly

<html>
<head><title>Path To Peace</title>
<script language="JavaScript1.2">
<!--

if (screen.width==800||screen.height==600) //if 800x600
window.location.replace("index800x600.html")

else if (screen.width==640||screen.height==480) //if 640x480
window.location.replace("640.html")

else if (screen.width==1024||screen.height==768) //if 1024x768
window.location.replace("index1024.html")

else //if all else
window.location.replace("http://path-to-peace.net/index1024.html")

//-->
</script>
</head>
<body>
</body>
</html>

in the above script users with different sizes see different pages depending on their screen res - all the instances of those pages have to be created and uploaded seperately to make them available

the screen size stuff is really annoying to be honest since there are so many out there - but wha can u do really

rbh

well i guess i will drop the header banner size and maybe that will help some. i also noticed how goofed things look with ie compared to firefox. i have both on my machines, only using firefox of course and  i never think to view my site through ie but a few things i have done look screwed up in ie compared to firefox. my dropdown menus have huge spaces between the menus where firefox they are neat and tidy, and there are other visual quirks i noticed.

guess i can make a popup saying this site is best viewed with firefox and a resolution of 1024x768 or higher. if you dont have firefox, then please download and install it or deal with the imperfections associated with using a crappy browser. :laugh: ;)

akulion

the problems dont only arise because of screen resolutions to be honest

u see a lot of users use these "toolbars" in their browsers too

like they will have one for encrata, one for yahoo, one for msn, one for smileys..aarrggh the list goes on

Personally I use NONE of those toolbars cos they are a headache and also cause longer loading times (by seconds) because each toolbar has to be updated too.

So you see the effective viewing area on many peoples browser gets lessened because of that as well

So fixing screen res isnt the 'final answer' because it all depends on user to user

in the end - just make ur site - test with 1024x786 and 800 x 600 and leave it at that

the users who have 10 toolbars on their browser can deal with it themselves

HaOsLsE

yeah RBH I had the same problem...it comes up wrong sometimes when large pictures are viewed..but as soon as you click forum again it auto-resizes.  All done by tiny portal.  I use TP 095 SMF 1.1 RC3 and the helios skin but as far as I can tell Tiny portal is the one doing the auto sizing.  So if you have TP, im assuming you are since you are here, check this out Mine is set to 0 for 100% width..."TinyPortal - General Settings
Set fixed width    ( in pixels - Use 0 for 100% width )"