TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:57:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,173
  • Total Topics: 21,219
  • Online today: 319
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 199
  • Total: 200
  • tino

Can anyone help me with a windows xp problem im having?

Started by alan s, October 18, 2006, 01:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan s

ZarPrime

Quote from: Marian on October 18, 2006, 02:36:59 PM
Yes, they are the worst sites possible!  I have tried software to block him from visiting these site but they are of little help, he's 25 btw.

Hmmm, sounds like he needs a computer of his own to screw up.  After he does it a couple of time, maybe he will learn the lesson.  ::)

Zar Prime

IchBin

I actually disable system restore. This is a big target for Virus/spyware to cause you even more headache because they put their crap in your restore files without you knowing. I get my PC running good and ghost the disk to my external hard drive. Anything happens, it takes all of 20 minutes to restore the ghost image.

mnichols7

My preferred methods and this is not for everyone, is a complete reformat. I have an external hard drive, 250 GBs where I keep backups of things I really want to keep, plus the usual zip drive and CD and DVDs backups, so I don't mind reformatting, although it can be a real headach to reload all programs.

I have Norton Ghost where I attempted a ghost back-up and the re-install failed.  I guess I did not do it correctly but it scared me from using that method ever again.

I like the restore function, you just have to go back far enough and conscientiously create theses points yourself.

IchBin

Always make sure when you ghost your hard drive that you verify the image. Ghost will check the image to make sure it is not corrupt.

Porky

Quote from: Marian on October 18, 2006, 05:37:40 PM
My preferred methods and this is not for everyone, is a complete reformat. I have an external hard drive, 250 GBs where I keep backups of things I really want to keep, plus the usual zip drive and CD and DVDs backups, so I don't mind reformatting, although it can be a real headach to reload all programs.

I have Norton Ghost where I attempted a ghost back-up and the re-install failed.  I guess I did not do it correctly but it scared me from using that method ever again.

I like the restore function, you just have to go back far enough and conscientiously create theses points yourself.

Exactly what I do keep my personal files I need externally and scan regularly and format system hard drive if need be....or for those that can't afford an external partion hard drive for operating system and another for personal files. Norton ghost is good for your operating system and files.....Maybe you ran it the wrong way there Marian