TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:08:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,104
  • Total Topics: 21,212
  • Online today: 143
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 127
  • Total: 127

Docs link in site footer

Started by [chrisB], February 25, 2023, 01:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[chrisB]

Is it okay to remove the link that points to https://www.tinyportal.net/docs/ (in the sites footer).

Would someone be able to tel; me what the edit steps would be please?

@rjen

Tbh, I am not.

We have moved the copyright from the footer: that link to the docs is the one, very unobtrusive, indication that you are using our portal.

Removing it is not something that I will help you with...
Running Latest TP on SMF2.1 at: www.fjr-club.nl

[chrisB]

Can you seriously answer what point the link has to my community? What benefit does anyone have from clicking on the help link? Removing the copyright seems to be a mistake, if you think a link to help benefits anyone except me - then I'd suggest placing the copyright back.

Link to help = Pointless
Copyright = "Unobtrusive"

I haven't had much chance to work on my site, but I stand by my comments about having the copyright as a badge of pride. I'm not sure why a help link would be something anyone would get overprotective about.

lurkalot

I believe the copyright was moved to the credits for technical reasons.  While it would be nice to see it at the bottom of the page, TP can run on both SMF 2.0 and 2.1 I think it caused issues in that respect.

[chrisB]

I politely asked, not because I wanted to remove all traces of Tiny Portal but because to me, it makes no sense. Since using TP for my site, I have tried to be supportive. I genuinely do appreciate the effort that goes into maintaining and releasing it.

Why I feel it makes no sense has been outlined above.

As a user, I didn't ask for the copyright to be moved but, in all honesty, I find it very unimportant that the help pages are next to a row of links that are actually useful to people visiting.

I mean, it might be few and far between anyone even remotely being interested in clicking any of the links, but I did plan to add a contact link instead. I can also understand, if the removal was against the user agreement - I do resent the attitude that I am not justified to alter it, as if I am simply wanting to use something without credit.

Honestly, that quite annoyed me.

I appreciate your reply, Lurkalot.

tino

https://github.com/Tinyportal/TinyPortal/blob/06afaa481f78fee6424a0d2cd29640fc6315ec97/TinyPortal/Integrate.php#L320

That line of code should remove it. I'm not sure I like how we do the help link, it should be on the SMF help page but I can't see any hooks around that.