TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:23:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,106
  • Total Topics: 21,213
  • Online today: 358
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online

Modules, do they work?

Started by tino, May 20, 2018, 05:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurkalot

Quote from: Ken. on May 24, 2018, 02:02:21 AM
This is the newest copy (7/26/15) that was in my files... there is an older version (02/27/14) if you need it.

Ken thanks for looking for this module, unfortunately the zip appears to be corrupt, and I can't extract it. Could you perhaps attach that older one for us to look at.  :)

EDIT:  Actually Ken, while on this subject, do you have any other modules sitting on your hard drive which we could take a look at as well please.  I'm pretty sure I don't have any.

Ken.

Whoops!  :-[
Sorry about the first one Mick... try this file.
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
Yesterday When I was Young.

Ken.

Here's the older version from 02/27/2014.
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Ken.

Quote from: lurkalot on May 24, 2018, 07:02:02 AM
EDIT:  Actually Ken, while on this subject, do you have any other modules sitting on your hard drive which we could take a look at as well please.  I'm pretty sure I don't have any.

My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I think the ShoutBox and Downloads modules were the only two that ever made it into the code. Others that you mentioned earlier were talked about, but were never coded.

lurkalot

Quote from: Ken. on May 24, 2018, 02:33:34 PM
Here's the older version from 02/27/2014.

Ken thanks, that one extracts ok.  I know your memory is fuzzy lol, but do you know if the version 2 of this module was adapted for SMF 2?  That older one is for SMF 1.1.x Thought I saw the use of $smcFunc mentioned in TPReviews2

tino

Thanks for that Ken, it's given me enough to go on to work out how they were meant to work so I can create a new addon.

Unrelated to any which exist mind.

Ken.

Quote from: lurkalot on May 24, 2018, 05:45:58 PM
Ken thanks, that one extracts ok.  I know your memory is fuzzy lol, but do you know if the version 2 of this module was adapted for SMF 2?  That older one is for SMF 1.1.x Thought I saw the use of $smcFunc mentioned in TPReviews2

Mick, the number 2 in the zip file name might have been used as a way for me to keep two copies of the file in the same folder, so it may not have anything to do with a version name/number for the zip.
As for SMF 2, it was never adapted for that version of SMF, AFAIK.

Quote from: tino on May 24, 2018, 06:36:09 PM
Thanks for that Ken, it's given me enough to go on to work out how they were meant to work so I can create a new addon.

Unrelated to any which exist mind.

Thanks tino.
... a request if you do publish a new version, it would be great if the new version could reconize the data/reviews from the old version.

wildenborch

Ken,

What can you do with the TPreview module? I read the TPreview topic but is does not make things clearer to me.

I also tried to install a version in a SMF 1 version but for some reason I cannot install TP 1.0
It looks like the installation went OK but the TP DB tables are not created.

Fred

Ken.

Hi Fred, the link below is to an instructional article that I wrote back in 2010 for my members, giving them some insight on how the TPReviews module works. Hopefully you may find it to be a little useful, but please note that it is old and out of date, so many of the links are broken because I closed many of the pages that are linked.
The basic concept was an article system that is somewhat like the TP Articles system, but more tightly focused on groups of articles/reviews of things like movies, books, games or anything else that the forum admins and members wanted it to be about. One big part of the system was an index page(s) listing all the reviews, first in categories and then listing the articles/reviews within the category.

The admins would setup some categories and then the membership could post and interact with reviews in that category(s).

Welcome our Reviews Module!

Hope this helps, I'll try to answer any questions you might have.

wildenborch

Hi Ken,

Thank you very much for this article. Yes this was very usefull!
Maybe some of this functionanlity can be used in the article system?

Fred