TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:03:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,105
  • Total Topics: 21,213
  • Online today: 310
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 300
  • Total: 301
  • lurkalot

View block by what country user is from?

Started by ApplianceJunk, August 26, 2009, 11:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc

JP is right.

Just re-read the original post again.
How about a simple re-direct page with the options for going to the ca or com website?
It would be a far simpler solution, unless you want to display country specific writing within the block..

JPDeni

I'm finding that it's not that hard to find out the country, although I haven't had any Canadian members come by yet so I can't be sure that it picks up Canada.

I should have code for this tomorrow.

JPDeni

If anybody wants to help, I have a page at http://www.morethanspike.com/index.php?page=35 to test it out. Since ApplianceJunk is particularly interested in Canadian visitors, it would be great if anybody from Canada would let me know if it works for you.

I noticed that some people get "XX" returned. So far it's just been folks in the US who have that, but it could be others as well.

Freddy

Not from Canada of course, but just to let you know it worked...

"Your country is UK"

JPDeni

Well, it looks like things are working, so I'll go ahead with the code.

$country = file_get_contents('http://api.hostip.info/country.php?ip='.$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']);
if ($country == 'CA') {
  echo 'whatever you want to show to Canadian people';
}
elseif ($country == 'US' || $country == 'XX') {
  echo 'whatever you want to show to US people';
}
else {
  echo 'whatever you want to show to everyone else';
}

The variable $country will have an uppercase two-letter term that corresponds to the country. There is also 'XX' which so far appears to only show up for US folks, but it's possible that it's any place that the database can't determine.

ZarPrime

IchBin

Using a Canadian proxy it indeed showed that I was from Canada. :) Good work Deni!

JPDeni

Cool. Looks like it's working, then. It was just something I found on a Google search. :) It's a tool that can be used in a lot of different things.