TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:49:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,104
  • Total Topics: 21,212
  • Online today: 212
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 212
  • Total: 213
  • illori

Mobiles

Started by Gaza07, April 26, 2019, 10:22:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaza07

Ive just started to use TP and was a SP / Ez user I really like Tp but on the Ezportal I could turn certain blocs for mobiles and cant see an option to do this in TP,
Is there a way to disable some blocs for mobile users in Tp.

@rjen

Hi, welcome to TinyPortal.

To answer your question: that feature is not available at the moment...
Running Latest TP on SMF2.1 at: www.fjr-club.nl

Gaza07

Thanks for the reply is this something that is planned to be added to a future release ?
at the moment when viewing the forum from a mobile all the blocks are lined up down the screen because of the theme being responsive and on a mobile.

tino

We had a responsive theme rather than enabling or disabling blocks. Why would you want your users to get a different view whilst on a mobile?

Curious that's all, it can be added although I personally can't see the need. I'd say being able to order where the blocks fit on a mobile screen would be better.

@rjen

I toyed with this idea before: If we make it possible to specify a minimum and maximum screen width setting per block  it would be possible to have blocks that only show on mobile screens and blocks that only show on desktop themes...

It will actually allow for both uses: for example you can have a side block for the shoutbox on desktop and an upper block for the shoutbox on mobiles...

I like this idea... unless OP has another use in mind?

Gaza07

Quote from: tino on April 27, 2019, 07:33:08 AM
We had a responsive theme rather than enabling or disabling blocks. Why would you want your users to get a different view whilst on a mobile?

Curious that's all, it can be added although I personally can't see the need. I'd say being able to order where the blocks fit on a mobile screen would be better.

The portal looks great on a desktop and all blocs are where they should be but on a mobile everything is to small and if a resposive theme is used the blocs are all in the narrow line in the mobile screen and just dont really look like a portal front page anymore, all the mobile user needs is the basic forum info and not squeezed down and not a spoilt front page maybe its a personal choice thing  :)

@rjen

What do you mean with 'spoiled front page'?
I think you may have chosen a less suitable Frontpage layout for your site...

Can you post a link to the site in question?

lurkalot

Hi and welcome to TP.

Yes it's a personal preference thing. Some want everything to stack, some don't want certain stuff to show.

Personally I'd like the option to hide certain panels off when on mobile, that would take care of any blocks in that panel. But it needs to be configurable / Switchable, otherwise we'll be inflicting it on others who don't want it.

lurkalot

Quote from: @rjen on April 27, 2019, 10:12:10 AM

If I'm right its this one, https://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.php

Showing forum on frontpage instead of a Home - forum setup.

Gaza07

Quote from: @rjen on April 27, 2019, 10:12:10 AM

Sorry spoiled is probably the wrong word to use
With the other portal programs ive used they have the ability to hide blocs on mobiles or desktops so you can make different setups for each, a squeezed down portal page tends to be to small or in a straight line and a mess, with the other programs I used to have the shout box and recent posts as the portal page and it worked well, I found user info forum stats and other blocs used on a desktop view werent needed on a mobile and just cluttered the already tiny screen up, just my opinion and how I like my forums to look  O0