TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:29:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,164
  • Total Topics: 21,219
  • Online today: 266
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 234
  • Total: 234

Make Category Pages Compliant with Good Web Practices

Started by 4eyes, December 18, 2006, 10:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4eyes

At the moment the category pages are all appearing with the exact same title and metatags - that of the main forum index page.

This is a real problem for search engine performance as each of those category pages will have trouble ranking for their content unless there is a unique and relevant title.

It also contravenes the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services guidelines, which is perhaps more serious problem, particularly for those that need to address the US market.

At the moment, the absence of this feature seriously limits what is otherwise an extremely useful product.

bloc

Which meta-tags need to be adjustable?

You see, normally the metatags normally stay the same for the whole SMF forum, and also of course follows when TP is installed - since TP doesn't interfere with it.

4eyes

QuoteWhich meta-tags need to be adjustable?

The 'title'. 'keywords' and 'description'.

However, by far the most important of these is the 'title' - it is a basic requirement of any well designed web site that pages are titled uniquely and accurately.

TestMonkey

I agree with 4eye's, tho not needed for everyone some of us would like to customize the meta data description and keywords, as well as custom titles...

Maybe an option on the catagories to make the catagory title become apart of the page title..

Like so..

<Site Name> <Catagory Name> <Article Name>, or something similar maybe allow that to be customised more in admin settings as well.

bloc

The title can be adjusted for TP. As for the others, they are already set by the forum itself. But I see the need to adjust those more.

sturmkatze

Could there be an option to make the meta data change with each article? I basically use the articles as the pages on my site... It's sure make it better for SEO if one could do that... at least an option.

IchBin

TP never sets any meta tags. The meta tags are always set by the index.template.php of the theme you're using.

sturmkatze

I know, it would just be useful if there was a way to attach certain meta tags to certain articles...

ianus

Greetings!

There is a mod for SMF which allows to edit the meta tags.
vBulletin Style Meta Tags @custom.simplemachines.org

Maybe someone is able to "update" this mod so that it would be possible to set tags for articles.
Maybe someone will request something like that from the mod author.

Just a hint, not a request.