TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 12:42:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,173
  • Total Topics: 21,219
  • Online today: 100
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 72
  • Total: 72

a forum/database question

Started by rbh, February 14, 2007, 03:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbh

One of my sites I want to blow away and rebuild but want to keep member info, permission settings, posts, TP settings, etc etc. Would I just overwrite the old SMF and TP folders with new, run installs and point to the same databases or would I just simply upgrade? I just don't know what all upgrading does and want a clean rebuilt site erasing the hard code edits I have done as most have mods now to do what the edits did.

Just curious what might be the easiest route for starting with a clean slate and still keeping all the important stuff. ;) The mods I know need to be reinstalled, but what about all the TP blocks? Do I need to save all my snippets or are they saved in the database? I also have Coppermine installed so not sure about what I need to save from there either.

I have become very comfortable with editing my sites, either by hard code edits or with mods, but this will be my first time at a major move or forum rebuild so I am a little nervous.  :-\

IchBin

Best way is to start with a fresh set of files IMO. This will erase any trace of the mods you had coded in. All the TP settings etc. are stored in the Database. Sometimes upgrades don't touch certain files. So it depends on which version you're upgrading to.

rbh

So just re-up and install new forum then when asked about database just type in the old databases?

IchBin

You shouldn't have to point anything if you keep your Settings.php file in tact.

rbh

So I wouldn't even have to run the install.php if I save my settings.php?