TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

July 20, 2024, 08:06:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,333
  • Total Topics: 21,233
  • Online today: 133
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 1
  • Guests: 92
  • Total: 93
  • @rjen

Suggestion: Forum Navigation in Sidebar

Started by likeatim, January 06, 2006, 10:48:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

likeatim

Hello,

I'm new here, I hope I'm in the right forum.
I have a suggestion for the Tiny-Portal: It would be very convenient to include a Forum Navigation Block in the Sidebar. Meaning, the categories and the individual forums are shown according to permissions as a little table to the right.
I can't explain it better. I've done that for a phpBB-Portal, just go to www.efb.nu and look at "ÃÆ'Ã...“bersicht" on the left. From there you can quickly access all forums and categories right there from the portal... I wouldn't know how to do it with Tinyportal / SMF, hence my suggestion.
Anyone agree? ;)

Kind regards,

likeatim

bloc

It does seem viable..although that list is of course also there in the "normal" forum index. But collecting just the forums/categories names/links (according to permissions of course) is much lighter on resources than bringing all the info normally associated with boardindex(forum index) in SMF.

likeatim

Quote from: Bloc on January 06, 2006, 12:15:55 PM
But collecting just the forums/categories names/links (according to permissions of course) is much lighter on resources than bringing all the info normally associated with boardindex(forum index) in SMF.
that was exactly what I meant, no other information (like post count etc.) than the names and the respective links are needed in that navigation box. I hope I'm saying this right but I think it would be pretty easy to program for you (as you know the code of TinyPortal and pretty much also of SMF, I guess).

Rasyr

Actually, this would not be all that hard to do. The information is already pulled by the forums for BoardIndex.template.php and all that would be needed is to set up a block of code that runs through the foreach loop and writes the display.

Formatting the display, that would be the tricky part.....

I have to head on into work very shortly, but I can try and see if I can come up with a simple code snippet for this when I get home (before Stargate and the other new sci-fi channel episodes come on).

Anyways, if I can get you a code snippet, then you could just pop it into a phpblock, and worry about the final formatting yourself. :)

I will see what I can come up with... 

(Note: I have almost no knowledge of php programming, but doing things like this, tweaking code, and doing little snippets helps me learn - so, yes, I do have an ulterior motive here)

likeatim

Rasyr

Okay, have to leave for work now. However, here is an update:

I have gotten it so that I can make a list, but it does not show up all the time, so I have to figure that out (likely I will have to make a function call of some sort), but I currently have it outputing in nested unordered lists, but I may change that to just a few non-breaking spaces and a symbol of some sort.

Anyways, I am making progress on it. :)

redeye

As I'm totally code challenged (haven't a clue!)

If your categories/boards aren't changed that often why not just use Menu Manager?

likeatim

Quote from: redeye on January 06, 2006, 03:46:28 PM
As I'm totally code challenged (haven't a clue!)

If your categories/boards aren't changed that often why not just use Menu Manager?
Mostly because I want the permissions for the boards in the forum navigation (hidden boards should be visible to the mods but not to the user).
And this is just the technically "sound" solution for it ;)

Nokonium

I'll second that, I had a link to the download manager in mine and when a guest clicked it it created a few error messages.