TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:46:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,164
  • Total Topics: 21,219
  • Online today: 266
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 195
  • Total: 195

A small question...

Started by bloc, June 17, 2011, 06:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloc

Hello everyone(and TP team). :) Been staying away for some time now, but slowly tuning in on TP/SMF matters again. Good times it seems, with TP 1.0 RC2 soon to be and SMF 2.0 going gold.

A question: what will be the licence of TP's next release? Seeing as SMF 2.0 is BSD - will that automatically make every mod inherit it or must they specify themselves what license they are?

Freddy

Hi Bloc :)

My guess is that original code is the still the property of the developer, so it's up to them how they license it.  Otherwise you would never get any more paid mods.

bloc

Probably. For free mods I would say BSD would be fine regardless, but as you say t would be up to the individual mod authors.

ZarPrime

Hi Bloc,

Good to see you again.  It's an interesting question.  I wish I knew more about the new SMF license.  I guess it's time to read up on it.

ZP

stog

yes howdy bloc -- hope you are refreshed and re-invigorated -- or just plain 'bouncing'
just been admiring your proteus theme here on tinyportal and wonder whether it or any other themes will be available for download in the near future.
i use your adagio in a lot of forums and i love the space and non clutter of this  proteus -- mind you i'd have to upgrade to smf 2 from some complicated and highly modded smf 1 bases i inherited -- not looking forward to that at all - what with the sun coming out :)

ZarPrime

Quote from: stog on June 18, 2011, 10:06:24 AM
-- mind you i'd have to upgrade to smf 2 from some complicated and highly modded smf 1 bases i inherited -- not looking forward to that at all - what with the sun coming out :)

:D <Hah Hah>.  That one makes me smile Stog (- what with the sun coming out).  That's great. ;)

It's really not that scary to update your site to SMF 2.0 but it just takes a little bit of planning.  Something that I recommend to others is to setup a clone of your live site to a test Forum.  Once you do that, you can play with the test site without affecting your live site, upgrading it from your current SMF version to the new version and then installing the latest TP.  There is a topic here where I helped enitram with that if you are interested.  Just do an advanced search for "clone" and look for posts I made and you should find it.  I think you would like SMF 2.0 much better than SMF 1.1.x.  I know I do.

ZarPrime

IchBin

It's something that has been on my mind, but I haven't given it a lot of thought lately. I guess I should. :)