TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:46:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,164
  • Total Topics: 21,219
  • Online today: 190
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 123
  • Total: 123

CripZone

Started by Maxx1, August 10, 2014, 08:04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxx1

Quote from: G6Cad on August 15, 2014, 09:03:30 AM

Been thinking of this for a few days now since i read the post. It´s a great thing to keep all Crips work, but I cant stop thinking of all the work still to be done with all the thems when it comes to update and support them. I know Crip sometimes went off line for long periods just because it went to big and took a lot of time to fix updates, support and help all the people that couldent fix things themselfs. It was a full time job keeping all Crips themes up to date and also all changes to the themes users wanted help with.
To keep all his themes will take a lot of effort from someone willing to take on all the work that comes with them.
I wonder if the work involved will be to much to handle ?

The First thing that comes to mind, is any volunteer/s, will be more than welcome and I have thought, allot about this and BTW was holding me back for some months in thinking about this very thing.
I have myself been working and help out with Crips site and support for 4 years more or less and, in this time among other things no one else wanted address, was the theme updates to SMF 2.1 version if it's is ever completed.

I'd also like try and Clear the air on the Subject of Jeff and his support and work and Myself as well and how I'll feel!

Now I have also Been work with several other Themer's in testing and customizing there themes,  and some say, I did a good job and others say nothing.
! have made many many themes and never published any of them , except to friends and upon request. I myself in this time have never seen Jeff close down and give up on anyone asking for reasonable support, I have also seen him get those themes up to date, many times. But this not my only concern here.. it is however to keep up  going to the best of my Old age ability to keep my Brother's work noticed and alive, as a few others have ( and Not many truly good Friends He had.

Now to clear some things up Jeff had request help Form others out their, they know who they, and he got that help of them, and I myself, Jeff and Jim, really did and do appreciate that! ( He was truly and amazing Guy, considering his condition ) and will power.

Now all that being said, I'd try my best to do this for most any of those whom, I worked closely with, no mater if they care much about me or not, that's not point, the point that those who have done great things for this SMF community, like Bloc, Brad, Jeff, Pete and many others, should get the credit due, for the good they did!

We shall try our best to support His themes and of course there will be rules and conditions to be met! and if I do update Jeff's work, I may consider doing away some images and replacing with CSS. and HTM5, where ever possible.

There are some out there that say that, Jeff copied the work of others, and I know He ,like I said previously ask for assistance from others on some issues.

Some people say, I myself can not do themes on my own, but that your opinion and you welcome to it, and being wrong, but I must ask those, can they write from scratch their own JQuery, PHP , scripts, Java, HTML and and everything else it take s to make a the theme work, without using the thoughts and work of those whom came before them / us. Unless you are God and I'm not a believer, then you should not say a word about others, unless it's something good. Not pointing at anyone just saying , it is what is. ( these are things that came up, while I was working with Jeff).

If you can take something nice and in your minds eye, make it better that's, what makes us Men and Woman! and the future come to sight!

Not implying to copy, but all those things that make the PC's work, was not the work on one LOL! and I can trouble shoot electronic to the component level ( IC, transistor resister or what ever) now days you just change a card or board.) No one wants to know how it works! I can take a circuit board and draw a scamatic from that board and create Gerber files and templates for surface mount auto insertion for production, that's by bag, this stuff is just to kill time til I pass on that road to no ware! :)  Some judge not knowing anything about the person they are judging> again just generally speaking!

Sorry for the long reply but certain things should be understood and considered.

If you'd like to help keeping his and other works alive, please let me know and you shall be welcome!

And if I misspelled something, I have no excuses and don't really care!

regards,
Maxx

But Mama, That's Where all the fun is!

Ronald

Nice reply Maxx. I
m glad your keeping Jeff's forum up and going..

If I can help in anyway let me know.

Ron..

Maxx1

Thanks Friend and everyone can help by stopping by once and again to say Hey! and we can go from there, of course anyone with theme support knowledge is more than welcome!

Regards,
Maxx

G6Cad

Great response Maxx, even if you somewha lost me a bit in all the text, but i know what you mean.
I´m not that young anymore, and though things in life ( most of us go through crap ) thought me personally, that sometimes, it´s best to let the past go, to be able to see and meet the future.

My thought about Crips themes and just the update part of them was exactly that. He have made so many themes we cant bearly count them, and update them ( rebuild with CSS etc ) will take aLOT of time. In my world, it will be kind of "stuck in the past" instead of move forward and see the future.

The future for me is to remember Crip from the person he was, what he did for a lot of people and leave it with that. It gives me a great feeling remember him like that. I also hade a lot of chats with Crip, me to helped him a lot when he needed to talk, and one thing i learned of Crip was that he really hated to go back on things over and over again, as he wanted to make new things all the time, new themes, new technic things in like, make new friends etc. So for me, and the way i got to know Jeff, he always wanted to move forward in life, not get stuck in the old.

Imfor one would rather see that we make a NEW theme, a theme we call "Jeff in remebrance" and make it the best theme ever to remember him by. That way we will all have Jeff here, but also give us selfs more time for new things as Jeff wanted to do himself.

Just to be clear, it´s MY way of thinking, im not trying to make you or anyone else think the same, i just say this because thats the way I got to know Jeff.

Regards Carina

bloc

I like that idea. Maybe even put such a theme up here on this site - as a tribute.

Maxx1

I was thinking this also, of only redoing some his favorite themes. and making even new ones to give out, if I could get some support help from others, if need on his work! I also like the idea a tribute theme! good one:)

I did not mean to quote your post, with any finger pointing, as I tried to explained. It's was just that negative things about Jeff and other here that I just got pissed over. If I came off the wrong way sorry.!

Jeff asked me many times to put my themes on his site, but as you can understand, I did not and obvious reasons, so only admin'd, helped out and did some customer work he did not want.

Gave him some ideas on new stuff I had to learn, some he liked and others not! :)

Jeff liked the graphics allot and I was stuck on getting the newer CSS/CSS3 implemented, with less images!
but in any case we were like brothers and I mean that!

regards,
Maxx,

Skhilled

A tribute theme sounds like a GREAT idea!!!  8)

Since everyone loved Jeff why not make it a community tribute? What about making polls for the colors, etc. as you go along. You choose the choices and let the users decide. Adding the community's input will make it their theme as well giving them something to give back.

As much and you and Jim have helped Jeff you both DESERVE to have themes you have created or will create added to the site!  O0

william777

Quote from: Skhilled on August 19, 2014, 04:13:45 PM

Since everyone loved Jeff why not make it a community tribute?

I support Skhilled's idea of a community tribute theme so that all can participate to remember him by.

bloc

About the amount of work - its much to take care of for just one guy. If Maxx is up for it, of course..otherwise I suggest the best themes are updated and the lesser(maybe the older foremost) are just kept as-they-are. But updating for SMF 2.0.x is a easy enough affair, its the transfer to 2.1(whenever that will be ready) and of course people asking for special changes.

But are such changes something one can demand from themes that belong to a person no longer with us...? I feel its not. The energy it takes to do that, should better be spent on creating new themes instead.

What always bugged me is the amount of mods that rely on default theme looking exactly as it was created(you all know this, I ranted enough about it lol)..it has always kept "theme frameworks" from really emerging. "Master themes" which themers could create subthemes from, making the theme creation process faster and more creative. The "variants" feature is a joke - yes, it is really - and just changing css is a bit lacking in creating what you seek.

Jeff really made a few "master themes" for himself, relying on default theme, and in that spirit created many variations of a particular style. I think maybe that show off his abilties the best - to try new things, building on a solid base theme. I've mostly gone the opposite way, with the downsides that gives, so again I suggest that just his best themes are kept alive - maybe even as sort of "master themes" for others to learn and build from.

Maxx1

I was think allot on this lately, and feel the best things is just support those whom are still using Crip theme's on the SMF 2.0+ and with the possibility of created a few new ones sense Jeff ask me to in the past.

But that being said, I also like to mention that I am researching other forum platforms, because I'm limited in my time and getting tired of waiting around for the SMF staff to move it.

Not giving up or in, Just want to do new stuff! I will always support SMF and TP and Ezportal as always, but things are so slow.

If ever SMF 2.1 Comes out and I have doubts on that, being done right JMHO!... I will then consider returning to the 2.1 Themes testing, but it's not the same, lots od stuff to reconsider in theremin! I have don a few already acn I know!

And If I chose to use another plate form, I will still be dedicated to helping out those in need as always. 

Another thing is that the SMF will always look like smf, and that is something I'm getting real tired of, except for some work that Bloc has done :) as well as some forks. I want the New and exciting like the world is using today!

Not FB,or WP, or Forums But a bit of all combined !

I know Bloc and some others are, but is anyone here looking into Bootstrap and the workings of it... the world changing my friends and this old fart is moving along as far as it takes me lol! :)

regards,
Maxx