TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:47:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,164
  • Total Topics: 21,219
  • Online today: 266
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 157
  • Total: 157

Theme questions

Started by IchBin, March 20, 2005, 05:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IchBin

As you know bloc I want to create my own theme eventually. If you have any tips please feel free. I'm assuming the only thing I need is the files that are put into the theme? I don't have to have any other files outside of the theme? I just kind of want to get an idea of what and where things are that I need.

Bjørn

To make a theme, you need 3 files as a start, and the images folder.

The files are the same 3 that get copied when you install a copy of default theme... index.php, index.template.php and style.css.

Index.template.php handle all the code above the "main" area - the one that change when go into a different section - and the lower bottom part, the copyright for example.

IchBin

So basically like the header and footer comes from the index.template.php ? The index.php is the main part? I know what the CSS is for.

Bjørn

No, index.php does nothing..its just a precaution. When in frontpage of forum, Boardindex.tempalte gets used, when in overview of a board MessageIndex.tempalte is the one , and when in the actual posts Display.template.

IchBin

Ah, ok. I get it. So there's a file for each view of the forum. Board view, topic view, and posts view.

Bjørn

Yes. And then some like admin, calendar etc.

The beauty is that you can just copy the ones you WANT to change over to your new theme, if not the default files is automatically used.

So a new theme could just be 3 files+images and still be a brand new look. Like Helios...the "containers" in it are mostly set up in index and boardindex/messageindex...all else is just from the default theme, BUT with different CSS and in some cases icons etc.

kwitt

what would be a good tool to make themes with?

Bjørn

Very individual...I use pen and paper, photoshop and just a text-editor for the code. :)

IchBin

^Hardcore themist. I've found context to be a good text editor. Photoshop if fantastic. I took an online class on photoshop a couple of years ago. Man is that program ahead of it's time.

Bjørn

I use context sometimes..but my main editor is something called PHP Expert Editor. Despite its name perhaps, its really a very lean and fast program.

But any program with a testing function and coloring of code is enough.