TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:34:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,105
  • Total Topics: 21,213
  • Online today: 77
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 72
  • Total: 72

Shoutbox Guest Issues

Started by Duskmoon, January 29, 2015, 11:07:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duskmoon

Hello all!

First let me thank you for maintaining TP, could not make my website what it is without it, much appreciate all the support here. Now on to my issue:

Link to my forum: http://those-guys.eu/forum/
SMF version:Current SMF version: SMF 2.0.9
TP version: TinyPortal 1.107
Default Forum Language: English   ISO-8859-1   8   en_US
Theme name and version: Vaux by Mick. G
Browser Name and Version: Google Chrome Version 40.0.2214.93 m
Mods installed:
1. Embed BBCode   2.0 
2.   Remove Message Icon   1.1.1 
3.   Removes the User Stars from the default template   1.0 
4.   Default_Membergroup   2.0 
5.   cbi 1.0   1.8.0 
6.   Add Favicon.ico Support   1.101 
7.   ResizeImagesToFitScreen   0.1.6
8.   Pretty URLs   1.1.2
9.   Default Avatar   2.3
10.   View Only Boards   1.2c
11.   Add Social Media Icons To Profiles   1.2.0
12.   Custom Action Mod   3.2
13.   TinyPortal   1.107
14.   SMF Gallery Lite   5.0.1
15.   Remove XHTML, RSS & WAP2 Links in Footer   v1.1
16.   Hide ip stuff for users   1.04
17.   Menu Editor Lite   1.0.5
18.   Rank Image Drop Down   1.0
19.   Remove Index.Php Completely From URL   1.2
20.   Misc Anti Spam   1.0
21.   Embed Tweet BBCode   1.0.0
22.   RIAST: Remove Index & Add Smart Title   1.3.0
23.   Anti-Spam Links   1.0.1
24.   URL Popup   1.0.2
25.   Ultimate Profile   0.9.1
26.   Expanding & Collapsing Spoiler Tag

Issue:

I am trying to fix the last bits on the website and I cannot figure out how to fix TP Shoutbox to utilize guests properly. The issue is the annoying missing avatar image and repeating shouts (each guest shout is displayed a couple times, while in TP admin I can only see one). I would like to disable avatars for guests completely and I have no idea how to prevent guest shout spam.

Thanks for any help, tried what I could think of, but can't figure it out.

WillyP

If you allow guests to shout you are going to have spam. My suggestion would be to turn of guest shouts, and only allow members to shout.

The broken avatar and multiple shouts look like bugs and should be fixed if they are confirmed as bugs. I'll try reproducing it on my own forum to confirm.

As far as the spam goes though I don't think there's anything reasonable to do about it, as the spammers aren't stopped by captcha, and anything more elaborate, and hence more intrusive to legitimate users, would kinda defeat the spirit of the shoutbox.

WillyP

Tested and confirmed multi-posting and broken image avatar shown when posting a guest shout.

Tested on Firefox, which does not show the broken image symbol, but the space where the avatar should be is a link to member profile, which of course is not found for a guest. Switching to Chrome the broken image image is shown.

Tested on Firefox, when a guest makes a shout, the shout is shown in the shout-box multiple times. My Shout box is set to show 10 shouts, and the guest is shown 10 time. When viewing the latest 50, the guest shout is shown 50 times. When viewing shouts in the admin area, the guest shout is shown only once, and removing it removes all instances of the guest shout from the shout-box and latest 50.

Edit: added to bugtracker

IchBin

Happens in the latest build where I changed the shoutbox? Or only in TP 1.0  Willy?

Duskmoon

Alright guys, thanks a lot for looking into it. :) Will disable guest shouts for now, not such a big loss.

IchBin

I did a quick test on this with the TP 1.1 that has all the new shoutbox features I added some time ago. It's not behaving the same way for me. So if someone else can verify these things, I think it's pretty safe to say that it's fixed in the beta version.

lurkalot

Brad, just tested it on my test site, and GG site both running 1.1  They both have the problem exactly as WillyP described. 

IchBin

Haven't been able to reproduce it on my test site. You only have to turn on guest shout, and post a guest shout right? Or am I missing something?

lurkalot

Quote from: IchBin™ on January 30, 2015, 02:59:33 PM

You only have to turn on guest shout, and post a guest shout right? Or am I missing something?

Yes Brad, that all I did.  Permissions > Can Post Shouts

I'd never seen this while testing, but then I never ever let guests post anything. 

IchBin

Well if you can figure anything else out, that would be helpful. I can't reproduce it yet. And I've posted a couple of guest posts on mine. Does the guest post need to be in a certain position in the list of shouts or anything? You have the default setting to show 10 shouts?

I've tried both FF and Chrome with no results... Mind sending me the link to your site so I can take a look at it?