TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:41:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
  • Total Members: 3,885
  • Latest: Growner
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,164
  • Total Topics: 21,219
  • Online today: 190
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 77
  • Total: 77

Gene Gene, the Dancing Machine

Started by Ken., March 16, 2015, 04:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken.

Many of you are too young to remember 'The Gong Show', but for those of us who do Gene Gene was one of the highlights of any of the episodes.

The Hollywood Reporter
Gene Patton, Gene Gene the Dancing Machine From 'The Gong Show,' Dies at 82

Gene Patton, the NBC stagehand in Burbank who stole the spotlight as Gene Gene the Dancing Machine on NBC's wacky The Gong Show, died Monday, his family announced. He was 82.

The Gong Show, dreamed up and hosted by producer Chuck Barris (The Dating Game, The Newlywed Game), aired on NBC in daytime from 1976-78 and then in syndication. Acts — most of them amateurish and just plain awful — auditioned for three celebrity judges, who banged a gong on stage to mercifully send the bad ones packing.

At a random moment during the game show, Barris would introduce Patton, and the curtain would part, bringing the shuffling stagehand with the painter's cap onstage to the sounds of "Jumpin' at the Woodside," a jazz tune made popular by Count Basie. His dance sent everyone on the set — Barris, the judges, the cameramen, the audience — into an uncontrollable boogie.

"One day, during rehearsal, I saw Gene dancing by himself in a dark corner. The huge stagehand never moved his feet; just his body from the waist up. He was terrific," Barris wrote in his 1984 memoir, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind.

"[Barris] said I was such a good dancer he had to name me twice," Patton once said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuJHKVQ2kLA
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
Yesterday When I was Young.