TP-Docs
HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon HTML5 Icon
TP on Social Media

Recent

Welcome to TinyPortal. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:12:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 195,106
  • Total Topics: 21,213
  • Online today: 358
  • Online ever: 3,540 (September 03, 2022, 01:38:54 AM)
Users Online
  • Users: 0
  • Guests: 100
  • Total: 100

Shared Hosting Providers

Started by WillyP, December 19, 2014, 06:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillyP

For the most part I've been pretty happy with my current hosting provider, Bravenet, but a few issues, related to another project I am working on, have prompted me to look at other providers. While there have been no issues directly related to any of my existing sites, I would move all my other sites over as I don't want to pay for two hosting accounts.

The issues I am having relate to PHP settings (memory and timeout), and no cron. The cron I can get around by using a website that offers cron jobs for free, but I don't think that is ideal, especially when most providers offer unlimited cron. The settings however won't allow me to install Drupal Commons. I've spoken to Bravenet on these issues and they say they don't offer cron, and that setting are a security issue.

I thought I'd ask y'all for recommendations for shared hosting providers. Though my requirements are quite modest, I'm not interested in 'unlimited' space or bandwidth. Any thoughts? My front running contender atm is A Small Orange.

Oh, and they should be located in the US, preferably north-east.

Ken.

Willy, I've been using GC Hosting for several years now and have always been satisfied with the service.

The occasional dose pop up of course, but the response to my help tickets has always prompt and with good results.

http://gcwebhosting.com/solutions
Located in California.
" If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti
Yesterday When I was Young.

WillyP

Thanks Ken I'll certainly look into that.

Skhilled

I use A Small Orange which has been the best hosting I've used so far.

WillyP

There's lots of great reviews of ASO and I haven't yet seen a bad one.

Seems a lot of people are concerned about the fact that ASO was recently bought by EIG, and they are saying it's only a matter of time for ASO to go the way of HostGator.

Lesmond

I dont know if your aware WillyP but I run an hosting company, see my sig for the link, or pm me for and I'll see what deal I can make for you :)

WillyP

I get a 404 on the link in your sig.

Lesmond

duh don't know why I added index.html to the sig :idiot2:

I have changed it now, but here it is again just in case  ;)  http://www.hothostinginc.com/index.php

WillyP

It's ok I had Googled it anyway. Just thought you should know your link was broken.

Anyway, I'm not going to make a decision for a while, need some more work coming in to pay the bills.  :-[

Then I'll have a few more questions for you.

lurkalot

I'm still using Hostgator, they used to be really good until they were bought up by EIG.  I would seriously not recommend them now.  I'll be looking around for a new host soon..